Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Questions about Powering Down equipment

Author Topic: Questions about Powering Down equipment
Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just trying to get some real info, to make an informed decision about some of my new digital equipment. Experience can be helpful, but is also prone to its own kind of mythology.

DCP Servers(GDC in my case)
I have read debates on this forum about shutting off servers or leaving them on. I am not interested in reopening a debate on this, but if any one has any real specific DATA about HD failure rates relating to power-cycles, please share it!
I did find this study By Google which indicates that high power-cycles had almost no effect on the life of the HDDs but as acknowledged in the summary of power cycles affect on drive life, it doesn't seem to be on a daily scale, but more on the "my server glitched, restart it" scale (which could be statistically less often). So again, any real data would be appreciated.

Projectors (Christie CP2210 in my case)
3 things.
First Our installers told us if we shut down our projector, we should restart the server, as it is more likely to (through some sort of connection error) cause an error in the middle of a show. Clearly that ties into the same issue of shutting the server down, there is no point if it significantly increase the chance of a failure.

Second, if it does need to be restarted in any situation, what order should it be restarted? Projector -> Server correct?

Third, Hooked up to our ventilation system, the fan runs all night on standby mode, what are the hazards to turning the projector off completely on a nightly basis?

MISC.
Sound Processor
AMPs
Hazzards for either of these? (we have always shut them off with our film projectors)

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really shouldn't bring up religious matters into this forum!

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we have a GDC server, and for the first year and a half of operation we shut it down every night. About the first of this year, we started leaving it on all the time. Besides being better for the equipment, it was a nightly time saver and made it possible to start a movie ingesting and go home without waiting for it to finish.

Then about two months ago, we lost a hard drive. GDC, to their credit, replaced ALL of our hard drives free-of-charge even though the machine was several months past warranty. So....did the many power cycles contribute to the failure? Hard to say, but it certainly didn't help.

We shut our projector down as far as standby every night. There doesn't seem to be any conflict between it and the server from doing this. (NEC projector)

We shut the sound system down completely every night (Dolby CP650, QSC amps and crossover). Since there are no hard disks or other moving parts in the components except fans, doesn't seem like a big deal to shut those down.

Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. Is there any order in which the server/projector should be started up? or does it not matter much?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 03:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best is to have the projector running when you start the server, both for HD-SDI/CL and IMB systems.

How many shows do you run each day?

- Carsten

Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
currently We run 3 on weekdays and 4 on weekends (per projector).

Also, I realized that the projector issue isn't just what the installers say, when I put the projector on standby mode, and bring it out, I have to restart it, it seems.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With that schedule, benefit of shutting down vs. leave them running is probably 50/50 by my intuitive estimation ;-)

A server restart/reboot is not necessarily a power-cycle.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: