Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS 100 Connection Issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DSS 100 Connection Issue
Eugene Palad
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 05:16 PM      Profile for Eugene Palad   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Palad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of a sudden, after a clean shutdown of the store, the DSS keeps on trying to connect to the server and only up to that point only. It gives a countdown of minutes while waiting for connection. How can I fix this issue? Please help me.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software are you running? If you don't have the upgrade version of your software, I would get a copy and run it. I would also, on a DSS100/DSP100 get it upgraded to 4.3.5 (9) if at all possible. Note, you will need a KDM to update the DSP100 to work with it.

Eugene Palad
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Eugene Palad   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Palad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my System Details;

Dolby Digital Cinema
Show Manager Version 2.2.8.0
System 3.2.11.4

How can I get an upgraded software and how can I run it from the DSS where the dss is hanging on the dolby splash screen? It is quite odd, awhile ago everything is just working, then all of a sudden this happened. I realy would like to update my software as I am aware that mine is way too old. Please help me. Thanks for your reply.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-13-2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does it say the version is on the "splash screen" the one it is hanging. It will be of the form x.y.z (a)

It sounds as if it is REALLY old (in the 3.x.x range). 4.2.1 (3) was a good version and 4.3.5 (9) is a good version prior to DCI. Only Dolby can supply you with software for it...even if you had the software, without the KDM to update the DSP100, you wouldn't have a working system. I would also get a copy of the upgrade disc for the version you have...run it on the DSS100...it won't harm anything and it might help restore some file that may have been corrupted. But you MUST make sure you have the proper version.

Another thing to check/verify is that the "LINK" cable is good...try unplugging/replugging it. It should go directly between the DSP100 and the DSS100 without going through any switch.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2012 04:04 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it connected to theater network?
Maybe there is a problem with "low-end" theater network switch (not auditorium network).
Another thing, did you do any changes? e.g. Installed new server in theater network, modified config, etc?
Did you try keyboard shortcuts to connect to local (SMS) server? When you see a Dolby splash screen, it says (for 10 seconds, I believe), that if you want to connect to local server - press ctrl+L. If it doesn't, first press ctrl+Q, and then ctrl+L.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2012 07:54 AM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you to check the network cable which is form DSS100 to your projector.Sometimes this cable's issue can cause the problem like your's.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2012 11:38 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay this may sound stupid but give it a try.
Shut down the whole thing. Go for a coffee (20 minutes at least)and reboot everything.

This may sound stupid but it sometimes happens to us that we get such an problem and it's a solution.

We've swapped dozens of cables. Tried lots of tricks.
This is a on the floor solution.

Given your configuration it looks quit out of date. Like Steve mentioned contact Dolby for an upgrade to a 'recent' version.

Eugene Palad
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 11:34 AM      Profile for Eugene Palad   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Palad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having reinstalled the firmware of DSS 100 and updated the DSP 100 firmware to match the 4.3.5 that I installed. Everything worked like a charm. The dolby support has helped me a lot to resolve mt issue. Dolby tech support rocks. They have an awasome service and care. Thank you all for the contributions. Long live film-tech...!!! [Smile]

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2012 03:39 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is that the same happened to one of our DSS100 servers just a day ago, using system version 4.3.5.9. I already passed all of my knowledge to the projectionist on site, and I'm awaiting for dolby to reply on this issue. Sweet coincidence.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2012 04:46 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unconfiguring and re-configuring Dolby helped just fine.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-23-2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long until companies begin charging for all these updates.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-23-2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is the only one I know that charges for software updates, at the moment. They provide 3-years of "free" update with each system...and on that, they have been rather loose. Any DSS100 can, without charge, get all of the way up to 4.3.5.13. Going beyond 4.3 is going to be a charge for the DSS100. The earliest DSS200s are going to run out at 4.4 (which is the DCI compliant version so ALL DSS200s will be made DCI compliant at no charge).

I'm sure these companies invest a fair chuck of change in keeping their code going and keeping up with DCI as well as things like HFR.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2012 03:08 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, DSS100/DSP100 updates are free of charge in case you use it in network with DSS220/CAT745.
We have two DSS100s running on system version 4.5.2(5) free of charge, 'cause we have them networked with new DSS220 systems. So it's not fully "free", as you have to buy a new server, but in case you are planning to do so - hurray - you have a free updates for DSS100 until Dolby decides otherwise.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-26-2012 03:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will find that your statement is not universally true. Dolby has been charging for the DSS100 in the US since 4.3.7 in order to get it to network with DSS200s running 4.4.

If you have a DSS100 running 4.3.7, you can go to 4.5 without charge because the DSP100 is running the same version since 4.3.7 (4.0.8.12). On 4.3.5 the DSP100 was running an older version (4.0.8.10).

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does DSP100 v4.0.8.12 fix the issue in v4.0.8.10 with log extraction from Series 2 projectors happening only in batches (and taking forever to finish!) ?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: