Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Home theater vs Dci Cinema projectors

Author Topic: Home theater vs Dci Cinema projectors
George Murray
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 04:56 PM      Profile for George Murray   Email George Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, Im currently planning to build a high quality private screening room for private use. The screen Is roughly 10x18 feet and I was just wandering what everyone though one the d-cinema vs high end home theater debate. The home theater projector I would be looking at is the new sony vw1000es 4k vs any dci compliant 2k/4k upgradeable projector. My biggest issue is the contrast as I have noticed that most dci projectors struggle to produce good black levels with a 2500:1 contrast ratio while the sony vw 1000es has a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio which would produce much deeper blacks. Any input is appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on the Contrast Ratio specification...anyone claiming a projector contrast ratio in excess of 2500:1 is flat out misleading. With present technology, it is impossible. A DCinema projector at 2200:1 or so is about the top of the range and THAT is a lie too. In truth, they struggle to get into the mid 500s and home projectors are even worse.

But how then do these companies boast the stupidly high numbers? Because there isn't any real regulation on it so the contrast ratio is a fictional set of parameters they set up themselves. So, what is the ratio between the brightest I could get the image with a whiter-than-white signal and essentially the lens capped.

What a home projector will do is modulate the light or iris (or both) to adjust the source light based on the current image being shown to make it brighter/darker. A DCinema projector wont do that because there is only one point where it is faithfully reproducing the image.

If you want to prove it to yourself. Have a test generator and put out a checkerboard pattern (white and black) and bring along a meter (and it will need to be a good one with likely a tube on its lens to properly filter out its OWN lens flare) and measure the light on the white square and then the black square...ideally, you can flip the pattern so your meter doesn't move (measure the same spot on the screen)...your ratio on that home projector is going to be something like 250 or so.

The white level is supposed to be 14fL. To get to 2200:1, the black would need to be down to .006fL. You'll enjoy getting a meter that would register that level accurately.

The DCinema projector is going to best a home projector on real Contrast, Color GAMUT and on down the line. That does not mean that a home projector won't be perfectly adequate running things like BluRay and HDTV and look superb.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 11:49 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is someone with a D-Cinema projector in their home.
The images on the screen look pretty good. Not that pictures tell the whole story but I dont see any lack of contrast.
http://www.dcicentral.com/forum/showthread.php?44-My-DCI-4K-Home-Theater

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a fraction of the price of D cinema projector the JVC D-LIA 4k projector produces a stunning image at home, very close in quality in my opinion to the 3dlp technology found at the cinema. Well worth checking out for yourself!
Blu ray however is not as good a source as the D cinema file.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-14-2012 03:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be fun to be rich to afford a BARCO 23B unit, but ain't that a bit of an overkill for the size of screen in that screening room? Wonder if he has a server, or just using DVI/scaled VGA feeds for the time being.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-14-2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if he has a server, where would he get the content?

As far as I know, DCP's aren't available for sale or rent to the public. Or am I wrong?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-14-2012 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He could probably book older titles for home use. This is entirely possible to do with 35mm (though it generally requires calling yourself something like "the ABC film society," and not "Bob's screening room." I don't see why DCPs couldn't also be booked in the same way. No, it wouldn't be cheap, and he wouldn't likely have access to any first-run titles.

Also, if he is professionally involved in the production side of the industry, he may have access to DCPs. Or he could make them himself if he has access to production elements in electronic form.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-14-2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a JVC DILA projector. The massive contrast boasted is real, but as steve says, it's full on/full off. The ANSI contrast in a "bat cave" is more like 125:1 That annoyed me most, the contrast level was MASSIVE on low light scenes, but everything washed out when anything bigger than a small window was shining light (and, again, my HT was completely black).
That said, I measured a DP2000 once, the ON/OFF contrast was - as advertised - 2000:1, and the ANSI was 500:1, which is a noticeable improvement over 125:1.
Don'e even mention irises please. [Frown]

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my limited experience, it has been impossible for us to get dcps or kdms for dcps we have on our servers, for films that are NOT first run. Anything older then 12 months, we would be really lucky to get KDMs for. Be it either from local distributors or from deluxe or other global distributor.

We don't have any vpf deals or anything, might that be a case for not being able to screen older titles?

I believe we are not the only case. In a curious case on the (if i remember correctly) german forum people cannot get a dcp for "Avatar 3D" of all things. Are the dcps even stored anywhere? What is the reason for such 'blocking'? Who knows...

sorry for slight offtopic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: