Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Create/convert to DCP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Create/convert to DCP
Marnix Koster
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Marnix Koster   Email Marnix Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this weekend I found the program DVD-o-matic (http://carlh.net/software/dvdomatic/ )

With this program you can easily convert video in a dcp package.
I tested it with a Quicktime trailer of Despicable Me 2. To test i download the 720p version and converted it. It played on a DSS200 with video and sound. I also tried converting a youtube video and it started also.

So an easy program to convert a video to dcp package.

Quote from the site:
DVD-o-matic is a free, open-source program to generate Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs) from videos or images.

It can take files in many different formats, including VOB (from DVDs), M2TS (from Blu-Ray), MP4 and others. It will also read JPEG, PNG, TIFF etc. for still-image DCPs.

It will run on Windows or Linux.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 10:49 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version of Windows or Linux? Also, what are the hardware requirements? Do you know?

Marnix Koster
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Marnix Koster   Email Marnix Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it doesn't mention any version requirement. I tried it on my laptop with Windows 7 64 bits. for linux there is a manual for ubuntu 12.04 on the website

Jorgen Larsen
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Jorgen Larsen   Email Jorgen Larsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The program is easy to work with, but I could not get the sound to work. It sounded as if the sound was recorded in a cathedral. Maybe there are settings that can prevent this.
I've been using windows PC 64 bit and Dolby server. No problems with uploading to the server

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2012 07:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to get it to make a DCP of a still image, but when I tried it on a five-minute "iPhone video" it said that I had 8858 bad frames out of 8860. So I don't know WTF. I'm going to do some more experimenting later on.

Using Win 7 64-bit here as well.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried already couple times. It does get better with time:

1)vista 32bit, intel core2duo processor
I installed 3 or so months ago, didnt reach the end of installation. I now installed the new version, it installs and i can run it, but when i go to file/open, it always crashes.

2)vista 64bit, intel core2duo processor
New version installs, i can make j2k files, it also makes correct audio and video mxfs, but then crashes at the end to make a proper cpl/assetmap. Have to finish it with openDcp but the result is ok.

Really like the AB option to check which video filter is good for the file you input. Have to experiment with codecs to see which are supported, will report. The video preview is clunky and if you run multiple instances of the same process, the windows go crazy, but thats ok.

Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Mike

iPhone's adjust the frame rate of their video during filming to compensate for differing lighting situations - In order to use it, you'll need to convert it to a file with a stable frame rate with a video editing program. (imovie, finalcut, etc)

I haven't been able to get DVD-o-matic working yet, but it looks promising.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that's good to know.

I tried the program on a Pink Panther cartoon from a DVD. It worked fine once I converted the DVD to mp4 format. Took forever though...for a six minute cartoon it took a little over two hours to make the DCP. Can't imagine how that would work for a BluRay!

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the conversion time also depends on the processor you are using in your computer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2012 09:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's obvious. I tried it on my new office computer but I'm not sure what processor it has...it's nice and fast though. (Dell Vostro desktop.)

Roy Williams
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2012 01:35 PM      Profile for Roy Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Roy Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processor will more than anything affect encoding time so the faster the better.

I looked at the program and it's very interesting as it'll take images and videos of any size, which is more than my professional (re: very expensive) DCP creating package allows me to do.
If they add the ability to import image sequences and also be able to create 3D DCPs it'll be awesome.

It's a very good alternative way of doing quick movie conversions to DCP.

I'll definitely be playing around with it some more.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I wrote DVD-o-matic (with some help from some fine folks across the net) ... please feel free to get in touch with any problems that you are having and I will see what I can do. Email cth@carlh.net or join the mailing list and post there.

In particular, if you are having problems with particular video files and you can get them to me, I should be able to fix DVD-o-matic to work with them.

The 32-bit windows version 0.57 is known to be fairly knackered due to problems with my build environment... I am working on that as we speak.

Best regards

Carl

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2012 01:52 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a method to "unpack" a dcinema file to play on a computer. This is an ad to play before the main feature.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2012 07:57 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any MAC Version Please.THX.

Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i´ve been mastering movies using dolby scc2000 wich is a bit of an overkill for some situations like advertisments, so we purchased doremi´s cineasset to convert the smaller videos (advertisments etc...)

looking forward to try this, i am especially curious to see how it handles the x´y´z colour conversions.
the feature of adding encoding servers on the lan looks useful.
good job

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: