Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » TMS doesn't see server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TMS doesn't see server
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 06:29 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single screen theater. GDC server NEC projector. Power was down for a week from the storm. Using computer that the TMS is on, the TMS won't connect to the server. NEC software won't connect to projector. VNC won't connect to server either. All connections time out. IP addresses didn't change. Sounds like something in the network switch but doesn't the server send commands to the projector through the switch? Show runs fine using server touchscreen.

|  IP: Logged

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 07:29 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,

can you tell me what else is connected to that switch you are using? It looks like it is the problem within switch itself like VLANs or dead ports.

BR Alexander

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The server, projector, internet router and desktop computer.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 08:37 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And switch model/type [Smile]

Did you tried to change switch for similar one just to test is problem with switch? As i can understand communication between server and projector is working so i can assume that those two ports are alive/configured, router is not a problem because it only supply internet to network. You can also try to connect desktop with projetor and/or server with cross-link utp cable and test connection.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 11:33 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to call to find the model. We can't swap it because it's a single screen theater. No other switches on site.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, be prepared to buy a new switch. I am willing to bet it got fried when the power went out during the storm. (Power outages during storms frequently have severe surges as the system goes down.)

EDIT: After re-reading the posts again carefully, it is also (more likely) possible that something happened to the desktop computer.....network port/card or corrupted software if it was on when the power went out.

I do hope that your installer put the server, switch, computer, and projector electronics on a HIGH QUALITY UPS? (Tripp-Lite, Middle Atlantic)

If not, now's the time to invest in one before you fry something really expensive.

I do hope you and your employees and families are doing ok after the strom too. [Smile]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony. I forgot to mention that the computer can still access the internet which means it does see the switch.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that the switch has dynamic address generation and has changed the addresses of the devices? The computer might be configured to handle that, but the server and projector have fixed addresses.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The switch is an SMC 8505T. All the cat 6 cables that are plugged into the switch have the link light lit up showing valid connection. I have internet on the computer so it sees the switch.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They swapped patch cables around at the switch. No matter what positions they put them in, the computer will not see the server or projector. This is weird because the computer sees the internet just fine running through the switch. Also, the server is controlling the projector just fine through the switch also. Shouldn't the computer see the switch? I can't find it in any of the network settings.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really sounds like a network configuration issue...gateways not set right, Mask not set right...etc It is REAL easy to get stuff that will partially work if you don't ensure you are on the correct subnet.

Other odd issues can arise if accidentally multiple things are using the same IP...I think I've seen it all.

If your TMS server has two NICs ...what are their IPs? I've seen where a program will use the "other" NIC instead of the one you want (which is what this is sounding like). If you have two NICs (and the wireless counts as a NIC) then try disabling the "other" NIC so only the one that should be on the same subnet is enabled...if that works then work your way back and see where the conflict is (remember you should NEVER have more than one NIC on the same subnet!).

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 05:33 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The computer has only 1 network controller. I'm going to check another theater close by that also is a single screen and see what their network settings look like to see if I can find anything different.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-17-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither PC will ever 'see' the switch, it will usually be completely transparent. Unless it is a managable switch with it's own management IP.

Desktop PC, TMS and server both can issue PING commands, as well as show assigned IP adresses. Check if the IP adresses and subnet settings are still consistent, ping each other device, replace switch. A simple switch for testing can be bought around every corner and will cost you 10-20US$.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the IP settings on the:

TMS server
NEC projector
GDC server (both NICs)
Router

List the IP, mask, gateway

This is a flat network...true? That is, the LAN port of the router goes to the switch and all of the NICs of the other devices go to the switch (except the GDC's media NIC which should be open but list its IP settings anyway).

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 06:36 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is as much as I could get since I'm not at the theater. I went in remotely.....

GDC Server ETH0 to switch 192.168.10.12 255.255.255.0
GDC Server ETH1 192.168.

NEC Projector 192.168.10.10

Router 108.5.149.172

Computer is set to obtain IP automatically. In the router settings, it says the computer's IP is 192.168.1.6 subnet 255.255.255.0

BTW, after power had come back after being off for a week they had no internet. I don't know what was done to fix that. Also, it is a flat network.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: