Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What tools needed to change Xenon in Barco?

Author Topic: What tools needed to change Xenon in Barco?
Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2012 11:03 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What tools would you recommend to have on hand for Xenon bulb changing in Barco DP2K-15C amd DP2K-23B?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-09-2012 01:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 15C

Two 17mm wrenches. One open end and one box end (two combos) though having one "jam nut wrench" can make it easier. a 5mm Allen wrench

For the 23B

A 22mm open end wrench, I forget the size of the allen that holds the cable to the adapter...I think it is 8mm. And a 5mm allen for cathode side.

And, of course, the proper safety attire.

If you want to be precise and safe, using torque wrenches will ensure you tighten all of the connections properly without over-torquing. Consult the manual.

-Steve

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2012 01:29 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The allen that holds the cable to the adapter on the 23B is an 8mm.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-09-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need two 22mm wrenches for the anode stud on a 23B, not one. You may need one really thin one depending on where the inner nut is.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-09-2012 09:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, on the 23B, there is an adapter block that is held on by the 22MM nuts...the Allen screw that needs the 8mm allen wrench is what holds the anode lead. At this point, on the DPxK-32B lamphouses need two 22mm wrenches. The adapter block is also 22mm wide so one wrench can hold the adapter block while one tightens the cable lug down with the 8mm allen wrench.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 02:04 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you get a thin 22mm open end? Or do you have a machinist take some off one? Thanks for all the help everybody. Changed so many Xenons in film lamphouses and scared to death to change these out.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2012 08:03 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you need to modified the 22mm wrenches?
Standard wrenches work just fine for us.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-10-2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kris, it depends on the vintage...on later lamphouses one can't tighten the first nut too far so a standard wrench will normally fit but that was NOT always the case. They have also beefed it up a bit (no longer hollow).

As for obtaining the tools...one has to use a proper tool supply house (we normally supply a set when we sell the system) but sanding/filing down a standard tool is definitely something that can be done.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-10-2012 10:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I recalled the 23B as having the same anode connector as the 32B.
If you really do need a thin wrench, bicycle shops have them.
It's hard to find individual normal wrenches, so we usually get a complete set and a bicycle wrench, plus a metric allen key set. With luck this doesn't end up as the usual cinema tool box containing only the tools that are never used, with the ones needed long gone.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-10-2012 01:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bicycle technicians use really thin wrenches, called "Cone Wrenches."

I got a few of those.

Cone Wrench:

http://www.parktool.com/product/22mm-shop-cone-wrench-scw-22

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-10-2012 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 23B has the same connector BUT Barco ads this adapter to the 19B/23B lamphouse so you use a Cap screw to secure the anode cable to the adapter. The Adapter is what is held on by the 22mm nuts. Download a reasonably current Barco Installation manual on the 19/23B and you'll see an image of it. It is just a rectangular block with two holes in it...one for the Cap screw (threaded) and one to slide on the lug.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 09:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much side clearance is required on a 23B to remove the lamphouse module to facilitate changing the bulb?

I've got a REALLY tight booth and the projector and pedestal will be in a fixed position that cannot be moved.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut-in an exterior access panel to change the bulb on my machine.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-28-2013 10:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a machine supply house and got a set of wrenchs used for changing grinding disks

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-28-2013 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too much, actually. You don't have to pull the entire lamphouse out...just about 9" until the front of the lamphouse clears, and then you lift it straight up and over the body of the projector. If you can stand to the side of the projector, you likely have enough room.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. Was kind of worried I was gonna have to re-invent my projection booth a week before equipment is set to be delivered.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: