Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Warners 'The Hobbit HFR FAQ'

Author Topic: Warners 'The Hobbit HFR FAQ'
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't quote it, as it is a JPEG:

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/media/galerie/hobbit001/hobbit_13/3DFAQ-cb118213.jpg

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Tom Tomlinson
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Tom Tomlinson   Email Tom Tomlinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So based on that--will Digital Imax project HFR?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to AMC's website select IMAX-Digital systems can playback in HFR - Tysons in the DC metro area will be.

yeah, saw this yesterday - both Regal and AMC have listed their respective theaters that can playback in HFR (oddly though none of the three AMC theaters in-town can playback in HFR, but Regal Gallery Place - can]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to this document: The Hobbit will be released in HFR 3D ONLY.. no HFR 2D..

That's interesting.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it looks so weird in 3D, they're thinking it would look even weirder in 2D. Plus they wouldn't get your $3 to $5 extra, which is probably the biggest reason of all.

With a single screen, this alone is enough to make me keep away from HFR until (and if) it becomes a must-have.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 05:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will have HFR but the distributor will not allow us to play it in that format. Go figure that one out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I already did.

link

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it seems that, like most major "advances" in our industry in the past thirty-five years, it's going to take a Lucas or a Spielberg or a Cameron to get HFR to become mass accepted by cinema goers and cinema operators. If I am remembering correctly, while Lisztomania was the "first" film to feature Dolby A encoding, Star Wars was the movie that got theatre owners to start installing the systems on a major scale in their theatres. And if I am remembering correctly, while there were other digital cinema sound formats, it was Jurrasic Park that got theatre owners to start installing digital sound systems on a major scale in their theatres. And if I am remembering correctly, where there were quite a number of 3D movies in theatres in the early part of the 21st Century, it was Avatar that got theatre owners to start installing 3D systems on a major scale in their theatres.

While Jackson may be beloved by the Tolkien fanboys and fangirls, it's going to take an Avatar 2 or Star Wars 7 being shot and shown in HFR 3D to get that system roaring on a major scale in theatres.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 08:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I already did.
Yep.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-08-2012 05:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious that they won't allow you to play it even though you have the capability. Just adds much more credence to "it looks like crap".

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For posterity:

quote:
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
HFR 3D

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY will be released this December in all motion picture formats, including the brand new format High Frame Rate 3D (HFR 3D). With the support of select theatres, HFR 3D represents a technological advancement in the motion picture experience. This innovative format presents the picture in 48 frames per second (fps), which is closer to what the human eye actually sees. This is twice the rate of the standard 24 fps, which is the current format in cinemas worldwide. We hope you will experience HFR 3D for yourself, or enjoy THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY in any format you choose, including 2D, 3D, IMAX, or IMAX 3D.

HFR 3D FAQ

What is HFR 3D?
Frame rates are the number of images (frames) displayed by a projector in one second. 24 fps is the current standard in cinemas worldwide. HFR 3D productions of 48 fps record and play visuals at twice the current rate.

Is it film or digital?
HFR 3D has been developed as digital technology.

Why do it?
This additional motion picture format provides another option in the movie theatre for each consumer's taste. Peter Jackson is pushing the boundaries of new filmmaking technologies on THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY and shot the film in HFR 3D, so it is being released in that format in addition to traditional formats.

Is HFR only available in 3D?
Yes. The HFR version of THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY will be available in 3D only.

Do I get a choice?
Yes. The film will be released in multiple formats, including 2D, 3D, IMAX, IMAX 3D, and HFR 3D. Check with your local theatre for the format of your choice.

Do I need special 3D glasses?
The 3D glasses supplied to you by the theatre for standard 3D presentations can also be used for HFR 3D presentations.

Where can I find it?
The HFR 3D format is available in select theatres. Please check your local listings.

Will other films be shot and released in HFR?
In addition to THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG, and THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN, James Cameron has announced plans to utilise HFR 3D on upcoming projects.

---

MGM - NEW LINE CINEMA - WARNER BROS PICTURES

I particularly note this:
quote:
... will be released this December in all motion picture formats ...
So to whom do I speak to book the 70mm print in Dolby Stereo?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: