Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CPL signature check failed

Author Topic: CPL signature check failed
Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been running a Doremi DCP2000 for about 6 years now and never seen this message before - CPL signature check failed. It brings up a screen that says press Abort to cancel the show otherwise it will automatically start in 5 seconds.
The film is 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' and is not encrypted.
The film seems to run, it is running now, what does this mean and is it likely to stop half way through?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A CPL is the "Composition Play List", which is defined as follows:

quote:
A text file that contains all of the information on how the files for a specific Composition should be played back, including how the audio and subtitles are synchronized with the picture. The CPL could contain one reel or many reels, and there are different CPLs for each soundtrack or version that
would play back. The CPL is created by the Digital Cinema Packaging Facility

From here

It appears that your DCP (the file on the hard drive that you got from the distributor) is corrupted.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 04:45 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film seemed to run fine, picture, sound, subtitles etc. so whatever the error may be with the file, it must be a minor one

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-06-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this after upgrading the server software, what I was told by Doremi was that the KDM had errors that would be missed on previous versions, but the new version has more stringent security checks. That time the show refused to run, I had to revert to a previous version. You can run the show at least!
What software, firmware, and SM versions are you using?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 06:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this isn't much help as to what this message means or what causes it, but I can tell you that I've seen this message before and it has not affected playback. I'm curious to its meaning, too.

quote: Frank Cox
It appears that your DCP (the file on the hard drive that you got from the distributor) is corrupted.
Well, to be accurate, a DCP is actually a collection of files. A CPL is a single file contained inside the DCP. (On certain rare occasions, a DCP may actually contain multiple CPLs, although this is not very common.)

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-07-2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember exactly now, but it has something to do with how the CPL is made, it's not actually corrupted. It says the same with some old Dolby test charts. The doremi just says that it does not follow some DCI requirements, but it's happy anyway! [Smile]

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 08:45 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Marco said it is a problem with wrapper or DCP creation software not your Doremi. i've seen this message and similar ones and always wrapper was a reason. i can tell that you are lucky because you had issue with cpl that can work. i had same problem with kdm's and lost few great shows because of distributors mistakes.
note that my servers running latest SW/FW/SM versions

Wolfgang Woehl
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Wolfgang Woehl   Author's Homepage   Email Wolfgang Woehl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, would be great if you could post the CPL in question (Content Manager > Actions > Export CPL). The answer to your question might be quite different from what has been suggested so far.

Anyway, the fact that the machine offers "Ignore" and that playback is fine and complete tells you something about a signature's value in Interop context: It's approaching zip. Interop systems have no way of enforcing a composition's (CPL's) signature in the first place. The implications should be obvious, see Our Interop DCPs are working just fine. Why should we switch to SMPTE DCP again?

Joel O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 10:53 PM      Profile for Joel O'Brien   Email Joel O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there guys,

May I suggest that you require Level 2 Modified Transitional 1 KDM's. The new projector handshake along with various recent firmware updates has made this all very painful but by the sounds of it you need a KDM with no ContentAuthenticator and has the assumed trust thumbprint in it.

Hope that helps... [Smile]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 10:38 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Amanda Mundin
The film is 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' and is not encrypted.

Since the content she is playing is not encrypted, a KDM is not required.

Joel O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Joel O'Brien   Email Joel O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh my mistake. Well I'd have to agree with the above then... or it could be an older SMPTE phase it was made against during the DCP's ...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-12-2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I was confused about KDM and CPL. The problem I had with "signature checks failed" may have refused to play because it was encrypted. Possibly a non-encrypted CPL would play with the error.
Anyway, I think the CPL is incorrectly produced. This doesn't cause a problem with rather outdated server software/firmware but recent - and particularly DCI compliant versions - are much more stringent checking every detail of the CPL.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: