Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » changing Dolby wheel engine

Author Topic: changing Dolby wheel engine
Bernd Hidding
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2012 09:59 AM      Profile for Bernd Hidding   Email Bernd Hidding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
im new here, and my english is not perfect, but i hope that everbody understand me.
i am from Germany and we use a Christie CP2220 projector and Doremi server and Dolby 3D, in our little 3 screen cinema. Now the little engine, which runs the dolby wheel, has not much power any more, so that it takes several minutes, to get the speed for synchzronisation.
Sometimes it does not get the speed, that means, no 3D at this time.
Now our technician told us, that we have to buy the whole unit, because the engine is not available as a single spare part.
Should pay about 2000.- dollars for the whole unit.
I think, that this is pretty much money or a little engine.
Does anybody knows, if its is possible to get only the engine?
maybe direct at a producer of these engines.
Thanks a lot for the answers.
Best
Bernd

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-03-2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call Dolby directly and ask if the motor is available as a replacement part.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your English is fine. There are so many people from around the globe with various forms of English one should really just read what the person meant rather than the exact sentence structure. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut.

I have yet to have the motor that drives the color wheel go bad, let alone just run slow. There could be other reasons other than a bad motor. Check the ribbon cable...it normally has a nasty path between the mechanism and the point it connects to the exterior of the projector. Make sure the cable between the DFC100 and the projector are good (both of them). If the status bit on the GPIO port of the projector has an issue then it will have a hard time syncing up too.

In the USA...Dolby has a Repair/Exchange program where an advance replacement can be sent out for a flat fee to repair a problem rather than just buying a whole new unit. I would investigate that since it should be as fast/faster than getting a new unit.

If you have three systems (or more than one)...have you tried transposing the cables/DFC100? That is, make sure it is the motor before going through the expense and time of changing out the mechanism.

Tschüss!

Bernd Hidding
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2012 07:55 AM      Profile for Bernd Hidding   Email Bernd Hidding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Steve and Dave.
I will try it tomorrow.
i hope, the reason is a bad connection. i think this is less work for me than replace the unit or the motor.

Bernd Hidding
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Bernd Hidding   Email Bernd Hidding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so the reason was the cable between the unit and the projector.
Now it works again. 3 hours of work, but no money für expensive spare parts.
Thank you very much for your help.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-05-2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kein Problem.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-05-2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bernd Hidding
Now our technician told us, that we have to buy the whole unit, because the engine is not available as a single spare part.
I'm curious: did you just ask your engineer for the spare part or did they come by, check the fault and advised you need a new assembly? [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: