Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » actualization for 48Fps on Barco

Author Topic: actualization for 48Fps on Barco
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 03:56 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.
we have some 20C and 23B BARCO projectors with SX-2000 and IMB from GDC.
i wonder if we need tu upgrade something in order to project THE HOBBIT in 48Fps and if it works on 3D and 2D.

thanks
mike moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-29-2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work for 48fps on 2D but definitely will not work on 48fps 3D. The new SX-3000 will but not the SX-2000. You will likely need to get your ICP up to 4.0.420 or above for 48fps to work properly.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-03-2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit unclear on how this 48fps is going to work. Doremi IMB servers come with some STeM 48fps test material, but this is in RGB color space. Assuming the Hobbit is also in RGB (who knows?) hopefully there will be some scheme to show it with XYZ trailers etc without switching presets (and also set up new 48 presets on each projector...). The Barco IM clones have 48fps presets in xyz colorspace, so I hope "real" movies are that way and it's just the STeM stuff in RGB.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-03-2012 04:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All DCI content at this point should be in XYZ. It would be nice to get some HFR test stuff to verify that all will be well before actually getting content.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-03-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anybody know a software to create a DCP in 3D 48fps? None of the ones I know allow it. Creating a test chart to properly setup HFR is a priority now!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-04-2012 06:51 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some test footage available with these framerates, Doremi I think, but with the current SMPTE transition AND HFR in mind, the problem is, as long as it isn't exactly from the final Hobbit postproduction/distribution pipeline, there is no reason to assume this test footage will be a real test for the final Hobbit footage.

I heard that Warner will issue official test footage soon for evaluation.

DCPC http://cinema.terminal-entry.de/ can create 48fps HFR footage - but again, that is no valid format test for the Hobbit DCP.

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2012 10:20 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner are indeed releasing test material for The Hobbit HFR. Only to those theatres showing it, and only once they've signed an agreement. Once they've proven they can run the HFR test content successfully, they'll be elligible to screen The Hobbit HFR. There's a cut off date for this process, which is a few weeks ahead of the release date.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When using an IMB and a normal DCP in 3D do you still use triple flash?
If I understood correctly the HFR content will 'only' be in dual flash.
So either way we still need extra macros?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-04-2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be double flash or 96Hz/eye or 192 updates/sec...should be fast enough!

Thanks for the info Pete! I definitely have a theatre that will be HFR capable and is slated to run the Hobbit. In fact, all 3D theatres at the complex are HFR too.

I think you will only need additional Macros for HFR on Dolby 3D on a Barco. Dolby already has the 96Hz position on the DFC100 so when it senses that it is 96Hz info, it will use those timings. Likewise, the silver screen 3Ds can merely adjust to the different rate. With Barco and Dolby 3D...one can save as many variants of Dolby 3D timings they want but they are individual files and will not automatically select so one will either have to modify macros or use additional ones to select the alternate Dolby 3D timings.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-04-2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the HFR should require a lower dark time (wheel is spinning faster) even though that won't be crucial.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2012 08:56 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Do you know anything regarding Xpand and HFR ? 'Cause I've heard that we will need to upgrade our Xpand distribution modules in order to play HFR content properly.
But I can see on the Xpand webpage that current modules are already capable to "deal" with HFR. Also I can see the same statment in Hobbit HFR FAQ.
Am I missing something out?

Cheers.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-08-2012 02:07 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Xpand with your serial numbers, I'd suggest.

- Carsten

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

you are using an GDC SX-2000... which model? an 'AR' model?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: