Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dual projector automation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dual projector automation
Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have 2 NC3240 machines using 1 DS200. With the server configured into dual projectors I am still not able to automate both machines together. I have got a jnior, but I am not sure how to make it work. According to Dolby and NEC I should't need it. Anyone had any experience with this?

|  IP: Logged

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to automatize that you not already performs?
Does the two projectors are declared in your devices manager?

I've got some experience - but I'm not an expert anyway - in dual projector settings (Christie/Doremi/JNior) as we install that kind of settings for high quality screens.

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Yes both machines are trusted devices. The set up is 2 NEC 3240s used for 3D (1 doing left eye, the other the right eye) because of the size of the screen. The problem I have is only 1 machine will automate for projector cues, lamp strike, macro change etc so someone has to stand with the machine to change the format between ads and trailers which is obviously impossible in a fully automated multiplex

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2012 05:23 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your macro sending the command to only 1 device, like Projector A, switch it to all. If the secondary prj is listed into the device manager it should also receive the command and follow up on it. I suspect the macro only applies to 1 specific prj. can you check this ? Should definitly be able to send commands like format change, lamp on / off and so on

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2012 06:48 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is switching it to all in the Dolby config or in the set up? Another engineer has activated the serial automation setting in the systems tab and I see where he has typed in the macro commands so 1 projector was on standard automation the other off the jnior, but it didn't work.

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh crap, sorry misread it's a dolby..

Have set both IP for both prj's in the config file ? The svr should create macro's for both prj automatically if the system is set to double projection.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a Doremi unit, you can define two projectors, where one is the primary.
You can of course use automation on both projector - so going full automated swichting channels, and so on;

With Dolby, sorry, I cannot confirm you can do alike.

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2012 05:57 AM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Both machines IP addresses are set in the config file and the media block is set to dual projector. If one machine is off the machine goes transport error however the second machine still won't automate. When you load the GPIO settings in off a USB during the configuration set up should it be a specific version of GPIO settings or will any do?

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2012 03:37 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All

I believe what Kore needs is an IP Diode-Conflagrator. These are not yet widely available, but allow a single server to emulate and control multiple devices with the same IP address without any confilct, or indeed see each other (hence the term diode-conflagrator). I have seen one of these devices control 5 DLP's simultaneously, and obviously will have wide implications for theme park attraction type rides. I know at least one of the service providers within the UK have been carrying out extensive trials on this device.

Godd Evening

David.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2012 04:15 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the late Bernard Bentley could have made it work with the device David mentions and a uni-selector.

Kore, I don't see how the GPIO config file comes into the equation, unless you're trying to use the GPIOs for something?

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned to me that to control a second machine we would need to include the projector cues into the GPIO list. I thought they were 2 different cue lists but maybe I'm wrong. My 2 machines are on a network with other projectors. I've seen horrible things happen with there is an IP conflict. I will look into a diode conflagrator and see if its compatible

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2012 02:16 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Peter of Naples!

Good to see you here again. Bernard Bentley would have had this issue licked MONTHS ago. Probably with the aid of Barry Diamondstone. There would have been 2 uniselectors though, one to run one machine, and another as an emulator. There would of course be a diode line on the peg board marked "Initiate B".

Kore - of course it's compatible, that's what the Diode Conflagrator was designed for. What else would you use one for?

David

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest, I've never heard of one. Not sure where to start?

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2012 07:30 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Kore!

The Diode-Conflagrator is relatively new to market, and is still undergoing beta-testing. I believe it will be widely available from Monday from most dealers.

David

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 06:18 AM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: