Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alternative content (DVI from computer) on christie cp2210

Author Topic: Alternative content (DVI from computer) on christie cp2210
Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a VGA distributor for preshows... Just got our first christie cp2210.

The DVI input is a DVI-D input (rather than A, or I) which means it doesn't accept an analog signal (and can't just use a VGA to DVI adapter)?

Is the only way I can use my existing system that is in place with my new projector if I use a scaler of some kind?
Some of the scalers I have looked at are more expensive than my entire VGA system including hundreds of feet of cable...

Main questions:
1. Am I missing something here? Am I just doing the channel setup improperly?
2. If that isn't it, what is a cheap solution to plugging my VGA cable into my new projector?

|  IP: Logged

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try looking on the Kramer website. You may able to use a VGA to cat 6 then use a cat 6 then cat 6 to hdmi which is easily converted to dvi d.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 03:45 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you stuck with VGA at all?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-24-2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie is capable of scaline the picture - not automatically though.
If you can bother doing that when you have some non HD signal and if you can just use the DVI-D, you're ok.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2012 05:53 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ op:
you wont be able to use a vga/dvi adapter for a DVI-D input.

yes, you will need to use a scaler, but they come in all shapes and sizes.

you have not mentioned what kind of system you have, and how many projectors you will be running. if your entire house system operates on VGA (or RGBHV or whatever), you dont have to change everything to DVI just to feed the signal to the projector. it is sufficient to then just scale one of the desired vga outputs.

Simple and small devices that do this come from most scaler manufacturers like
Gefen VGA to DVI
Kramer FC 31
Extron RGB300

these are all in the 3-500$ range and do what you need.

but if your needs are more specific and you have much larger needs (like serving a dozen screens), then it might not be worthwhile.

@ Kore:
that is unfortunately not the way baluns work. You cannot simply plug a Vga-to-Utp transmitter on one end, and a Utp-to-DVI receiver at the other. You wont get anything across. It either goes Vga-UTp transmitter--> UTp-Vga receiver, or DVI-Utp transmitter--> Utp-DVI receiver. You still have to scale the signal either before you send it or after you receive it over utp.

Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 10:42 AM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Bajsic Bojan

Thanks for your reply. We have 5 screens, but are taking the switch to digital one screen at a time as we raise money (so only one has this problem at the moment, but soon all will have it).

at 300+ a screen it would probably be cheaper to find a new distribution amp for DVI and run new cables rather than buy a scaler for each screen. *EDIT*:(NVM, maybe some other option though, seems DVI can't be run anywhere near as long as VGA can be)

I have to do some calculations on lamp hours and figure out whether it might be financially worth it to keep the little ad projectors any way (and bypass this problem all together). I heard on the forums somewhere that it is actually less cost effective, but I haven't seen any real data on it.

If any one else has any other ideas allowing me to keep this system in place for cheap, let me know!

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you have found out, DVI is for short distances only (sub 10m).

I have given you a sample of pro-grade mini scalers, however there are many more for much less, if you are willing to look at (and above all test the hell out of) more consumer based products (mostly outputing HDMI which is easy to bypass using inexpensive HDMI->DVI cable).

Aten VC160 for 200$

Atlona HD500 for 200$

Aluratek AVH100F for 100$

Sewell hammerhead for 70$

beware as some of those might not like to output in 1080p (consistently). but you can try and see if it works. sewell also doesnt have external power source but relies on usb power, so that might not work for you if you have a distro with splitters and such.

there are several scalers like the ones above for even less money, but they usually output only 720p.

Kore Pendragon
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Kore Pendragon   Email Kore Pendragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done it. I wasnt using a scaler with the NEC. I am pretty sure that the converter unit i had was scaling internally. It was a VGA and phono input to cat 6 out. At the other end the cat 6 was converted to HDMI

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 11:25 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

This problem can be overcome by the use of a X'Y'Z Taupendulator. I found one on eBay about two years ago and it's never let me down. I believe they are manufactured by Phillips.

Goodnight

David.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2012 05:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Rose,

I don't think a bird trap will work in this instance.

Sincerly,

Dennis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: