Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » between lens sizes

Author Topic: between lens sizes
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2012 10:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a stupid question, but what happens when a theatre is between lens sizes and cannot get a single lens that will accommodate both 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 aspect ratios? Are there any other options besides buying two lenses or using an anamorphic lens?

In particular, I am thinking of a house that has a 4.7 throw ratio for 1.85 and a 3.65 throw ratio for 2.39.

Barco sells a 2.8-5.5 lens that would work, but Christie only has a 3.0-4.3 and a 4.3-6.0. What are the options here, other than "buy the Barco"? And why does Christie only offer the high-contrast lenses in a small subset of focal lengths?

When using the anamorphic lens, where does the image get scaled to the height of the chip? Is it in the server, the projector, or an external box?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2012 12:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie's high contrast lenses are series 1 lenses. They are absolutely better quality than any series 2 lens out there. I use one in my screening room as well as an anamorphic for scope. Nobody wants them though because they don't cover the entire zoom range for (properly designed) cinemas with side masking and require a wide angle converter or anamorphic to achieve scope.

Also many theaters are all about extreme high gain screens with a tiny bulb and scraping away at barely hitting 14fl on a new bulb. Those high contrast lenses WILL require you to burn a bigger bulb, but in my opinion they are VERY well worth it as they are sharper, have a substantially better contrast ratio and offer better colors. But again, there's that bigger bulb nobody wants to burn (and the wide angle or anamorphic lens they don't want to buy either).

You will also notice chromatic aberrations are essentially non-existent on the high contrast lenses, so you can get that convergence dead on target. With series 2 lenses, it is a compromise.

The high contrast lenses came about as a means to achieve an acceptable contrast ratio on the original Christie CP-2000 era projectors before the "dark chip" started shipping in the CP-2000-SB and later models. Even with the high contrast lenses in the early projectors, many theaters would intentionally run under light spec because it looked better to be darker and still have some degree of blacks. Many of these early installs targeted 10fl for this reason.

When using the anamorphic lens, you actually stretch the image vertically on the chip to use 100% of it (and the light). It also eliminates moire from the screen perforations and gives a more film-like image.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: