Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Is Scope on the way out? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is Scope on the way out?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2012 04:24 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious for people's opinion on something. When we go digital we might be moving the projector to a different booth and putting up a new screen.

Currently the size of our screen is determined by two things, the width of the area where the screen hangs and the edge of the balcony which limits where the top of the screen can be where the projector is now.

We currently have side masking so the screen in bigger in scope than flat.

When we move things around we shouldn't have the height limit any more so I'm wondering whether to switch to top and bottom masking.

Part of the reason I'm considering this is I think with digital cinema scope may go away? For me the first sign of this was Avengers being Flat, there was at least one other big movie this summer that was flat when it would usually have been scope.

This is my reasoning why scope might go away-

Most multiplex theatres use top/bottom masking so the image is actually bigger for Flat.

It's my understanding that using scope on a Digital projector doesn't make full use of the pixels?

It's probably cheaper to do 3D on flat than scope?

Even things like Imax being closer to Flat than Scope may come into play.

Opinions?

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
60-75% of the movies I am playing on any given week are 2.39:1. I don't think Scope is going away anytime soon.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-15-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
inasmuch as digital makes any ratio possible (forget standards for the moment) the best bet seems to bey 4 way masking and the biggest screen you can fit.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-15-2012 08:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think scope movies will eventually all but disappear. Think about it...

New build cinemas now use letterboxing for their scope and flat is the largest image.

TV's are now 16x9.

Flat is better quality than scope (generally).

I think it's probably the main reason AVENGERS was flat.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2012 11:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think scope will always be an "artistic choice" on the part of the film-maker. Sometimes you just need that wider image.

Plus, TVs are getting wider, not narrower.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2012 12:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Each year that has gone by since digital has taken over, there have been more and more scope movies. It is NOT going to go away, and it is the one thing that separates a real cinema from tv at home.

Top/scissor masking is just replicating tv.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 12:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they keep doing builds with 1.85 screens, then there's no difference except the cinema screen's size. Scope movies will be letterboxed on both.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, and to make matters worse many theaters are saying "to hell with masking" (even though DCI requires it). By eliminating masking, they are making the cinema experience THAT MUCH CLOSER to home video.

Sure it is "just my opinion", but mark my words...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 01:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, seen scope presentations look like the ones in our homes - "letterboxed" scope presentations.

Goodbye maskings for scope presentations.

And, what's interesting is that, in the Digital Realm, that the term 'scope, really isn't valid anymore since the image isn't shown through any anamorphic attachments at majority of the DC conversions.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-16-2012 02:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact I see more and more scope features - even letterboxed, scope is considered more sexy and 'cinematic' than flat. Don't count on scope disappearing.

- Carsten

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 07:03 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone seen a scope television? they must exist.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 07:49 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of this topic:

In regards to digital - a trend that I do not like is trailers for movies that will be released in 'Scope are being re-sized in the letterbox type format when played before a flat movie. I find this really annoying.

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take a close look at "scope" features presented on commercial television note that the 1920x1080 is reformatted to 1440x1080 (after credits) to fill the 16x9 tv screen.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 09:28 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@PaulGordon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Cinema_21:9_TV

they stopped making them due to lack of interest.

@Dennis:

not much better than scope trailers of 1.85 movies on 35mm. or vice versa. or 35mm scope trailers in general.

the fact is that scope is the inferior format in 2k, so it makes little sense to make it worse by making it bigger, even if that is contrary to the historical reason why scope even started existing.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2012 10:08 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vizio just introduced a 21:9 TV in the US this summer:

VIZIO Begins Shipping XVT3D580CM CinemaWide 21:9 HDTV in US (Finally!) -- bigpicturebigsound.com

It's an interesting concept, and I don't think it's completely out in left field, but I can't imagine it really taking off either. Philips took the lead, and after a few years, only Vizio followed. However, in a market looking for distinction between products, going wide certainly does that.

My favorite part of Vizio's implementation is that they make use of the blank space on a 1.78:1 presentation to show extra information if you wish. For example, you could be watching a football game and have an app showing other scores, etc. This is the example given in the article above.

As someone who has a separate movie-watching system, I don't see the need for a 2.4:1 (ok, 2.37:1) screen in my living room, especially if it comes at a price premium. If all other things were equal, I would certainly consider it, as the use of the blank space has some interesting possibilities.

Now that I've had a 2.35:1 screen in my home theater for several months, going wide is a distinction between watching TV and watching a movie.

I think scope still works well as an aspect ratio, and I would never recommend to a theater to install a flat screen and do top and bottom masking. If you don't feel the image is big enough when showing flat movies on a scope screen, that's a problem with the room, not the aspect ratio. If you have a room which just can't handle the smaller size for flat presentations, then put in a 1.85:1 screen and never show scope movies in that dinky room. Your customers deserve better than a letterboxed presentation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: