Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2k error

Author Topic: Barco DP2k error
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey gang,

I won't bore you with how we came to be in this situation but I am finding myself responsible for a single Barco with no one to call for support...
So I wanted to run this by y'all for a second opinion before I do anything.

What is happening: Machine will run for a show, maybe two, and then shutdown with an error "5647 - The lamp is off due to an error".

What I think is going on: The liquid coolant is depleted and it is overheating.

Why I think this: Contrary to the manual for other models I do not see a reservoir. I do however see what looks like a service bell with a valve stem on it right next to a gauge which reads 0 bar. On the sticker in the bottom of the compartment there is a warning not to pressurize above 1.0bar.

This machine was neglected for quite a while. It's been lucky enough to be in a relatively clean booth, has gotten better air flow than it previously had on the exhaust, the small filters cleaned and a new filter up front about a year ago.

The lamp is an Osram @ 400 hours and initially does not flicker or have any trouble striking. I am told by the theater that it was flickering shortly before shutting down though.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this one...
--dom

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only way to get a fast answer is getting the log files from the projector and have a look at those.
If you dont have an communicator on hand there is the webinterface that should give you the requested info.

The 0 bar isn't much of an issue.

Any way on saying wich serie it is?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Series 1, Series 2 has a coolant reservoir and the coolant is not pressurised.

Check the logs, if it's a coolant issue yo may see entries close to the 'lamp is off due to an error' entry, look for things like DMD temperature warning, then DMD temperature high. Also if the projector has been neglected for some time, look for Pump Speed Low warnings. If the coolant is not changed on schedule, it tends to crytalise in the pump.

Oddly enough I recently brought back to life a Barco with just such problems, filters and coolant had never been changed since installation!
Air filters looked like carpet and what little coolant drained out looked like tramps urine.. I could not turn the pump by hand [Frown]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like that in the logs.

I'm told it's an error related to the power supply and could potentially be fixed with a firmware upgrade or else that ps needs to be replaced...

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-10-2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-10-2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that same error recently.

DP2K-32B
USHIO DXL-30BA

Simply re-striking the lamp would get it going - that workaround helped 100% of the time. We were never totally screwed.

Changing the lamp (about a week ago) seems to have helped. So far, anyway.

The lamp that was (presumed) faulty only had about 450 hours on it -- out of 1500 warranty hours.

If the new lamp also dies prematurely, we will dig deeper.

Sigh.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-10-2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow..running a 30BA in a 32B unit? Big unit and a small bulb.

Switch to Ushio bulbs and dump Osram as quick as you can.

Big problem is that the Osram bulbs works great for 2D and in a percentage of power rate, but kick the power up to the bulb to do 3D and they age very quickly.

Ushios are more durable for this form of operation. UDXL40-BAF are the common ones for the 20C units to fill a 40 ft screen.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-10-2012 10:24 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the size of the unit, Monte. It's what you do with it!

The 30BA is our 2D bulb. We have a second lamp house module for 3D (6500W) and we swap out to that one only when it's needed.

Actually the 30BA, when perfectly aligned, is too bright for 2D.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 05:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had an error of this type on a series 2 Barco using an Osram 3000w bulb. We were informed a couple of months prior to this that Osram has been having manufacturing problems with their 3k bulbs. Basically they are failing prematurely. You did not state the size of the bulb that you were using, but if it is a 3k this may be your problem.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 07:15 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, "nobody to call for support" worries me. These projectors do need fairly regular service.
The series 1 Barco cooling system is supposed to be pressurized to 1 Bar but they all seem to drop to zero after a few months without causing any problems. The coolant is supposed to be replaced every year but it will be OK for considerably longer. Replacing it is a pretty simple procedure that's detailed in the projector service manual. You need a few special tools (a special cap fitting, air pump, and some hoses with the correct quick connects) to do it right: Barco of course sells a coolant change kit with the tools and one litre of coolant.
The coolant itself is essentially 50/50 glycol antifreeze mixture, but without the additives found in automotive products. Barco and Christie coolants are identical (maybe this is specified by TI, it does come from Texas... but NEC uses something else), so if you have coolant for one it's OK for the other.
If the air filters are blocked the lamp might shut down but I think you would get an overtemp error reported. The S2 "unexpected lamp off" is usually a lamp problem, "The lamp is off due to an error" is a new one to me but may be the same thing in S1 lingo.
There are metal permanent air filters available from Barco so you don't have to buy any more paper filters.
Barco issues software and firmware updates semi-regularly - S1 projectors not so much nowadays though. If you haven't had any service calls doing the updates, this is definitely recommended. Doing the upgrades on a machine with very old firmware is a bit tricky and I would not recommend doing it yourself unless there's no alternative and you have to carefully read the installation instructions. Plus take a full clone before starting. If you have a Barco touchscreen you should upgrade it to v4.6.6 software before doing anything else, the cloning function has changed a lot from earlier versions and projector software/firmware updates can now be done from the touchscreen much easier than with the alternative methods.
I'm sure you can call Barco tech support and they will help you out. To get software or a service manual you need a login to the tech FTP server. You should be able to get that from Barco tech support.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the end it looks like it was a faulty lamp.
Swapped out a few days ago and all has been well.

First Osram we have had in it in a while. Usually we have Ushio and no issues.

Again, long story as to how we ended up with no support for this beast. Suffice to say I'm hoping the owner will move forward with remedying this soon.
But for now we are good.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had the same problem on a Barco 20c. i send the log file and Barco said it has to be with a power supply and they ask me to swap the power supply and waith for couple days to send again the log file.
i still waiting for an answer but the problems seems to desappear

mike moreno

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: