Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Show Library cues with NEC and Christie

Author Topic: Dolby Show Library cues with NEC and Christie
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2012 08:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to get all the cues all the same name on my Dolby Library so I can have 1 template for building shows and not have to stack cues.

My 2 questions are, does anyone know how to rename the Macro cues on a NEC 1200/2000. They show up by default as "MacroKey No.1" etc. when pulled into the Dolby server.
I would like to be able to rename to something like 2D scope or 2d Flat.
There doesn't seeem to be anyway to do this threw communicator.

Also/or on a Christe 2220 I am able to change the name of the channel but I wont let me use a (.) period in the title.
So I Can't get it to match the NEC MacroKey No. system.

So any advice on how to get around that would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One drawback, in my opinion, of the Dolby system is that you cannot create macros to execute multiple commands. For example, on a Doremi you could have a Flat Show Start macro that would have all of the commands necessary to dim the lights, strike the lamp, select the proper channel/macro on the projector, etc. On a Dolby, each command must be a separate cue. Now, a way that you could get around this is by using an automation, such as an eCNA-5/10/200 that supports all of your devices. You would then create a single cue on the Dolby (For example, Flat Show Start) that would fire a macro in the automation that would then execute every step necessary.

The projector Macro Button No. X titles are a function of the Dolby server, not the NEC projector. It does not matter what you title the macros on the projector. When you tell the Dolby that you have an NEC projector connected, it populates the cues with these Macro Button cues, as well as cues for lamp and douser. Each cue will select whatever macro is assigned to that button on the projector, regardless of what it is called. As far as I am aware, you can't rename those cues on the Dolby.

I am not incredibly familiar with Christie projectors, but it isn't unreasonable that certain systems do not allow certain characters in file naming. Sorry, I don't have a work-around for you.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-13-2014 03:23 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 661 days since the last post.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-13-2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bringing this up.

Have Dolby/NEC improved - or are they going to do so - the "MacroKey #1" issue? Honestly it's not very user friendly. Is there a way we can edit the label of the macro, maybe on the projector?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2014 09:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a Dolby issue on the NEC. Dolby can only report back what it can read. With NEC, those are the defined macro keys. And until later NEC firmware, only could only select Macro Keys 1-8. After Service pack 3.20x you could get upto 16 macro keys. Dolby hasn't started offering that yet (to the best of my knowledge).

While it is possible to select "Titles" by knowing their Title Number (not the same as Macro keys)...NEC does not provide a means for a device to poll the projector to get human readable names of the titles/presets. As such, you will never get what you are looking for from any server. You just have the ability to select from a known preset number.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.
I've asked NEC and they suggested to ask Dolby.
I've asked Dolby and they suggested to ask NEC.

I agree with your analysis, Dolby are just displaying what the projector is giving them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: