Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » best digital projector for 30 feet screen

Author Topic: best digital projector for 30 feet screen
Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi ,just want to know as a begininer in digital industry,which is the best projector for 30 feet screen,i am lokking for the whole equipment like server,3d filter and screeen.right now running fp50a kinoton 35mm with cp650 with ex surround.pls guide me well which projector i shoulg go with,ur suggestions made me owner of fp50a and i must say it is amazing in 35mm,guide me well i digital also,thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-09-2012 09:32 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 30 foot screens there are new projectors coming that will be considerably less costly than current solutions. It does depend a bit on the 3D system: all lose a lot of light in 3D and the new projectors will be at their limits at 30 feet - I really doubt any matte screen 3D system will be viable with them on a 30' screen. The new TI chip is supposed to be released in production quantities in December, with projector deliveries soon afterward. Hard data on these projectors is currently sparse: I don't think any of the manufacturers have anything on their web sites although they are being promoted in the industry using "feature lists" but no detailed specs or product images.
For current 2K projectors, whatever is best supported in your region is probably the best bet. The differences are relatively slight, each has its benefits IMO. I've had most experience with Barco and they are quite good. The 2kW Barco 12C is totally air cooled which has benefits in maintenance cost over the comparable competitors, plus Barco air filters are permanent so you won't be buying replacements regularly.
If you want 4K (not much need at 30 feet) I would tend towards Barco as well, I like the serviceability in their 1.4" B models.
Many here seem to share a poor opinion of Sony projectors but they are 4K (excepting in Real-D 3D mode) and at 30 feet, with a relatively low power lamp, the light engine degradation issue should be minimized. Personally I would stick with a TI DLP system.
Christie and NEC are both good systems. Cinemeccanica and Kinoton projectors are actually Barco inside but if either has better support in Pakistan that would be a consideration.
For servers the current best choices (IMO) are Doremi or Dolby, then GDC, then the others.
Dolby 3D uses a matte screen so the image hotspot issue with a silver screen is eliminated. For any matte screen 3D solution you will need a larger lamp than with silver screen systems, since the gain of the silver screen gives a brighter image (with a nasty hot spot).
There are other matte screen 3D systems with active LCD glasses: the cost of the glasses becomes an issue, plus they need their batteries serviced as well as washing (Dolby glasses are also washed on site). These are popular here only in industry screening rooms, the studios don't seem to like the Dolby system and won't accept a silver screen because of the hotspotting. With a controlled clientèle, damage to and theft of the expensive glasses is a non-issue. I don't think there's a public (non-IMAX) cinema in Canada with an active glasses 3D system.
Silver screen systems use recyclable glasses, returned to the manufacturer for a credit after use while new glasses are purchased as needed. As far as I know the Real-D "free glasses" deal is not available in Asia, and you would also have to pay shipping costs to their recycling facility. Possibly you can wash the glasses on-site if you want to? Master Image is the direct alternative to Real-D and has about the same performance. I don't know about the Real-D contract terms outside of North America, but here the equipment is leased to you "free" and you pay a fee per 3D ticket. MasterImage sells you the equipment and you just buy the glasses after that.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2012 10:21 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
There are other matte screen 3D systems with active LCD glasses: the cost of the glasses becomes an issue, plus they need their batteries serviced as well as washing (Dolby glasses are also washed on site). These are popular here only in industry screening rooms, the studios don't seem to like the Dolby system and won't accept a silver screen because of the hotspotting.
David, having never experienced the Dolby system can you elaborate further. Thank you.

Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks dave for educating me in to digital projectors,well kinoton has there representive in pakistan who provide me fp50a,but i hear a lot of digital equipment malfunctions etc.so will be needed much attention from the maker.after reading ur post i get that i should go for doremei server and changing my screen to silver one for less cost of 3d glasses.commercially active glasses are not at all viable.for filter real d z screen vs master image which u suggest?for the projector do u recmond kinoton dcp 30 SX II ?as u said i will not be needing 4k bcz of the 30 feet screen.what u say of buying barco seller reufrb or manufacturer refurb as they r budget friendly?r these kinoton equally good as barco?thanks

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-09-2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
I don't think any of the manufacturers have anything on their web sites although they are being promoted in the industry using "feature lists" but no detailed specs or product images.
Product images and datasheets are available for NEC and Christie S2k machines.

However, for a 30ft screen with clear 3D ambition, S2k is definitely not the way to go.

One of the medium range machines maxing out around 3 to 4 kW, like Christie 2220, is the better choice.

- Carsten

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 02:06 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
both nec and christie do have thier s2k machines on the net, sony's new 'compact' machine is also there.

http://www.christiedigital.co.uk/emea/cinema/cinema-products/digital-cinema-projectors/pages/christie-solaria-one-digital-cinema-projection-system.aspx

http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/dc/en/projectionroom/projectors/nc900c.xhtml

http://www.pro.sony.eu/pro/lang/en/eu/product/dcinemaproj/srx-r515/features

for the barco, no sheets, but a google for "Barco DP2K 10S" will get plenty of information.

For the nec and sony, you can get pricing info from the reps today.

Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 09:55 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think dp2k barco projectors will be a good choice for best bright results.pls recmond me among the filter for 3d.master image or real d ?? which one is better?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-10-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us what 'better' means for you, and we might be able to tell you which is better.

- Carsten

Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2012 04:19 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks carston for reply well better means ,which filter perform good,brightness,budget friendly cost and above all i need the best 3d experience,thanks

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you that this is the best combination, but it's worked well for us, so I'll share it.

Projector: Barco DP2000
Server: Dolby DSS100
Player: Dolby DSP100
Scaler: Gefen EXT-GSCALER-PRO
Screen: Da-Lite Studio Electrol (32' x ~13.5')
3D: Dolby
Automation: MiT IMC
Automation: AMX Axcent3

I think that covers it. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you or anyone else has some. As I said before, it may not be ideal, but it's what we have and therefore all I know... and it's worked just fine for us.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hijacking thread:

do any of the new smaller, compact models have a sealed light engine (like the bigger barcos for example)?

I wish to know if non-sealed will be a problem if i'd be doing shows in not so dust free environments. Can i assume more dust buildup on mirrors etc?

Which of the projectors have the best filters for such particles?

how is sxrd in this respect?

Thanks

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 03:05 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bojan: just like the C- and B-series projectors; the Barco DP2K-10Sx does have a sealed engine. This will improve the unit's lifetime and image quality over many years, compared to those that don't have the sealing.
Note that the internal sealing also allows us to use the washable filters: on 10Sx these are plastic (on C/B-series they were metal)

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the price of the Barco DP2K-10Sx?

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$36,000 ish

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-03-2013 09:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any real offers, but official numbers are around 35.000US$ for the 10Sx (incl. IMS). 10S is without IMS.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: