Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Rocky Horror Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Rocky Horror Digital
Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently heard a rumor that Fox is not allowing screenings off of DVD or Blu-Ray. Because of the lack of quality prints for Rocky Horror Picture Show, it seems like a lot of folks have been screening it from DVD or Blu-Ray over the last several years. I also just heard there are only 8 35mm prints available from Fox. So it seems to me that more than 8 theatres around the world show RHPS right around Halloween or on Halloween night.
Does anyone know if a DCP has been created, and I am curious how most theatres who usually show this are handling it. Also, does anyone know of any good prints available if Fox books all the prints? And are people who scrapped their 35mm projectors,S.O.L, with no digital alternative?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2012 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still theaters showing that awful thing?

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still theaters SELLING OUT that awful thing. [beer]

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2012 04:05 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure about it being the case that there are no quality prints. There's a decent one - in stereo - kicking around Australia, at least [Razz]

In any case there is a 2K DCP, but I recall it's in 1.78:1 (the Blu-Ray master, I presume).

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the quality of some of the 35mm prints I've seen over the years, how can they object to using a Blu-Ray?

Last year, they did allow us to play the Blu-Ray. The cinema I am at now doesn't have 35mm capability.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, just book one of the crappy 35mm prints and then play the blu-ray.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are alternatives to booking through fox on it but can't remember which outfit. Criterion comes to mind but not sure. Why would they even object to a bluRay? They get their flat rental no matter what and this film can't be destroyed by lack of quality. I mean have you seen it?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-23-2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another forum I'm on says Fox is refusing to let Criterion license DVD/BluRay for theatrical exhibition, thereby closing off a large hunk of the Fox library, including Rocky Horror.

I guess Fox is getting rid of film and non-DCI digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think studio decision makers must wake up in the morning and think, "OK, how can I screw things up today?"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-23-2012 10:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the many midnight showing of RHPS that I ran, I had fun with the audience since I had access to stage lighting and travel spotlights.

Yes, it was a crazy movie, but why go against it? People liked the theatre employees having fun with them, thus we would have repeat customers.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2012 12:52 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on a second... first, we complain when studios have digital theatres to play their movies off DVDs or Blu-Rays instead of DCPs, and then we complain when a studio decides to no longer allow digital theatres to play their movies off DVDs or Blu-Rays?

What am I missing?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-24-2012 05:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not either media but not being able to show a classic at all.

Similiar situation over here in germany - because of the Miramax issue, you can not play 'Pulp Fiction' and some other Tarantino titles in public. All 35mm copies have been destroyed.

We also have to play Life Of Brian on BD because 35mm prints are unplayable. Luckily we are allowed to do it.

- Carsten

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-24-2012 12:10 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Heck, just book one of the crappy 35mm prints and then play the blu-ray.

Been there, done that. Sometimes in reverse. Many times I've booked a DVD from Swank (they charge the same as a 35mm print rental but still send you the Home Video version with the FBI warning and the menu and all the rest of the HV gack -- you would think for $500 buck rental they could cut a "theatrical" version with JUST the movie). Pay for the license to play the title and then arrange to play a collector's 35mm print.

These studio execs are hell bent on screwing the exhibitor and the public at the same time. They are not striking new prints of their classic libraries -- OK, we get it, they want to do away with film -- BUT, neither are they doing the costly work of making good transfers of those libraries because that costs money; it's not just a matter of putting a negative in a Rank-Cintel Flying Spot Scanner or a Davinci 8K Scanner and clicking the Record button. To do it correctly takes time, a team of video artists and even bringing in the director if he/she is still alive. Yah, they might make DCPs for their biggest tentpole titles in their libraries, but they are not going thru that expense for the bulk of their titles.

So for the embattled art house -- the only venue where the public can still see films in a theatre environment -- they are quickly loosing ground, EVEN if they have installed digital projection. When the existing prints that exist on a title, meager as the inventory may be, become unplayable due to wear and tear, for all practical purposes, that title is gone. Big screen public presentation of it is over, regardless of its historic value. Is a crime. This Fox thing, not at the very least allowing BluRay screening of a title which they cannot supply EITHER a 35mm print OR a DCP, is insane. They should loose the copyright for titles they cannot make available for public viewing. And by viewing, I don't mean on an freakin iPad.

Future generations may loose a good portion of our cinema heritage, at least being able to see it the way it was intended.

Remember the awe you felt when you saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or WEST SIDE STORY on a 60-70ft screen in 70mm? Our grand kids and great grand kids will never have that experience -- bad enough; but now they won't be able to see thousands of titles because there are not prints nor DCPs. Fox doesn't even HAVE a Classics Department anymore. These guys are not interested in anything that is more than a year old; they don't belong in the cinema business.

And BTW, this is aimed SOLELY at the few exhibitors -- art houses in particular -- who would program out-of-the-box and run something other than the top 10 current releases. Yet anyone who wants to rent a blow-up screen can run all the DVD & BR they want. Fox seems to WANT to kill the art house. They should find bed bugs in their beds.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Remember the awe you felt when you saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or WEST SIDE STORY on a 60-70ft screen in 70mm? Our grand kids and great grand kids will never have that experience -- bad enough; but now they won't be able to see thousands of titles because there are not prints nor DCPs.
Except they will. Columbia did create a DCP for Lawrence, which hundreds of theatres in America will be showing in five weeks time. In fact, Sony Repertory has continually added new titles to their DCP library, and not just the biggest blockbusters.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-24-2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also think it's worth pointing out that a well-told STORY like LOA doesn't depend on 70mm to be enjoyed.

I'm not questioning the "special-ness" of 70mm but I think too much is made out of it. It can't make a bad story good and many movies have delivered a sense of spectacle without it.

And I say this as someone who has been known to drive out of town to catch a 70mm screening, so I'm not a "hater."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: