Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 2 DVI cables or 1 required between CineIPM & NEC 800?

Author Topic: 2 DVI cables or 1 required between CineIPM & NEC 800?
William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2012 08:43 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I have to get a number of cables run to our remotely mounted NEC NC800. Server, processor, CineIPM etc are in the control room below.
I am a little confused whether I need two DVI cables or only one for alternative content via the Christie CineIPM?

It appears that both CineIPM and projector support the use of either a single DVI cable supporting 8bit signals or both DVI's connected to support 10bit signals.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2012 09:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the one cable and set the projector to 8-bit. I don't think the CIneIPM can even do 10 or 12-bit output. Note it isn't HDCP compliant either.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-22-2012 05:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dual-Link DVI still uses only ONE DVI connector, not two physical connectors.

Still, running two DVI cables could be useful (though not necessary) for multiple sources.

- Carsten

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2012 06:06 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the CineIPM does indeed output 10bit signals if you select that option - but it needs 2 x separate cables to do that, not a dual-link single cable. I suppose my question was - is there any advantage to having a 10bit output?
Yes, unfortunately the CineIPM is not HDCP compliant but then neither is the projector, so we are using analogue component to get HD from BluRay.

At 15m we are also on the limit of DVI cable length but that's another issue..

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-22-2012 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 10 and 12 bit color...one uses "Twin-link" which is a dual cable format. Personally, for those scalers, I would not bother with going beyond 8-bit.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-22-2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Twin-Link is not Dual-Link.

For a remote installation, I would also suggest to NOT use 10Bit output - because 8Bit mode allows to use the second DVI output as a secondary display output. That way you can monitor the signals on a DVI monitor before actually displaying them on the projector. Saves on lamp time/ignitions as well when preparing sources.

10Bit from BluRay will be useless, especially when coming from analog component signals.

And, by the way:

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-62834-Blu-ray-Analog-HD-Output-To-Be-Restricted.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System#Analog_Outputs

- Carsten

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2012 11:25 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys - & that's a very good point about using the second DVI port for a monitor.
I've not had a chance to read those links yet Carsten but most BD players now don't have component outputs. But does that mean that new BD discs will actually prevent the component outputs working to HD on older players? I know it's been talked about for some time but does not seem to have happened so far.

edit: ok have now read those two links - very annoying! I guess I'll have to get hold of an HD fury as that's cheaper than an HDPC upgrade on the proj.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: