Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCI Compliant Servers (features, undocumented or otherwise)

Author Topic: DCI Compliant Servers (features, undocumented or otherwise)
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2012 05:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what has everyone's experiences been with updating and living with the DCinema servers for DCI compliance?

So far, for me, Dolby has been the fastest server to move to the DCI compliant software (how long it takes to update...presuming you were reasonably current before the update). It can be done remotely though one should have the ability to do a full power-cycle. I want to say the typical update is about 20-30 minutes (including the server and mediablock). The change to end-user after the update is pretty much zero (if you were on version 4.3.5.9 or above).

GDC was a multi-step procedure that must be carefully followed and MUST be done in person (a cable is added and moved about...plus other interaction). The time for update is over 1-hour, for sure.

The three biggest changes I noted once all DCI complied was that it now requires a login upon boot up (no more of waking up into the SMS screen), there is about a 5 minute wait period for the Security Manager to do its thing. And when one starts a show now...it does its DCI check (like another server as always done) so it does not immediately start running the SPL.

I have not done a Doremi yet so I'm interested to hear about experiences there. What has changed in the look/feel/operation once updated? What was the approximate update times? How straightforward was the update? One definitely does NOT have to post a step-by-step as those sorts of things might even be confidential.

Any freakishness in the systems once updated? I think the potential for the audio watermarking to interfere with things like DBOX are well documented though I've heard of it also affecting some other channels.

Lastly...anyone not updated to DCI yet? Various deadlines for that have come and gone and some are about to come...for VPF people.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby is by far the easiest to upgrade. It takes about 30 minutes as you found, but note you can do the entire building worth of YOUR work in 10-15 minutes (depending on number of screens). Then you just wait another 10-20 minutes for the updates to finish on their own. Tremendously simple and no catastrophes. As Steve said, this also had no impact on the staff, as the operating procedures and 6-7 minute boot time remained identical. This is a TRUE "remote upgrade". We handled these at the NOC for our customers.

The Doremi for me was a little frustrating, as I am running 4 drive raids and since I had to change the OS chips on most of them, the servers "woke up" with the default 3 drive raid, meaning I was starting over from scratch on content and OS config. I don't think most people are running 4 drive raids (and certainly those that won't need to change the OS chip) will have that hassle. The screens where I did not have to change the OS chip went quickly and smoothly, about 20-30 minutes. Regardless, it is NOT a "remote upgrade". Operational-wise though, it remained identical, including boot time (at about 2 minutes).

A tip (that occurred to me after the fact, of course) for anyone running 4 drive raids on a Doremi that needs to change the OS chip for whatever reason...use one machine as your "configuration machine" and keep putting the new chips in there and setting the server up. Then just move that OS chip into the server it was configured for and I don't think you will lose your content raid, because it will have already been configured as a 4 drive raid on your configuration machine. (Note I didn't actually test that theory.)

GDC is also NOT a remote upgrade like Doremi (as Steve has already described), but there are consequences involved with upgrading. The auto-SMS lock Steve spoke about is annoying and the normal boot time went up to 5 minutes, but what kills me is the 20 minute reboot. Yup, if there is a power failure it takes 20 minutes to recover before playback can be restarted! At that point, you've just lost the show.

As Steve pointed out, everyone on a VPF program is REQUIRED to upgrade to this firmware. Either the deadline has passed, or will within the next 2 months.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-21-2012 08:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 20 minute thing is if you have an IMB and the projector powers down before server...or if you don't let the SM come up fully.

I have tried, in the shop, just killing the power and seeing how long it took to come back...and it was the same 5-minute SM boot up time that was the last to come on line.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2012 10:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your shop setup is NOT an IMB version? If so, that's good news for the normal servers (but still bad news for the IMB people).

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2012 12:19 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was wondering the upgrade on the doremi to DCI Compliance is that like on the intel / compact flash based servers or the supermicro / ssd ? interested to know...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-25-2012 05:10 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I upgraded three doremis to the DCI compliant firmware/SM manager and installed the new software - which is no different from the old one BTW.
The longest task was the SM manager. All together it takes 20 minutes. This is with a Dolphin 1.2 card and with SW/SM/FW up to date to the previous version (2.2.3, 21.2k and 2.0.13).
No human intervention required, DLMs can be downloaded from doremi support FTP. The software map is clear and links to the DRM folders are provided.
Machines need to be powered off though. If not, you won't have picture - no errors displayed.

It can be remotely done, I reckon. You just need to ftp the content onto the special ingest folder.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-25-2012 09:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these upgrades just for VPF purposes? Is there any reason to do them in a non-VPF situation (i.e. is there any risk that a new release might not play on non-upgraded equipment)?

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-25-2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VPFs are the hammer that is requiring them now. That said, the servers are shipping with the DCI compliant versions of software (once they work their way through...I know Dolby now shipping with 4.4.0.48).

If for no other reason than time, I'm not updating my VPF people to the DCI stuff yet. For the most part there is just no reason...no new features. The DCI stuff is apt to be more buggy since it is all about stopping you from doing things, not helping you.

So, if you are happy with the software version you are on and aren't experiencing problems...stay with it...for now.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-25-2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, keep in mind that - at least with doremi - you cannot downgrade from a DCI version!

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-25-2012 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, I'm not updating my NON-VPF people at the moment.

None of them will let you go back to Non-DCI once they are in DCI spec. One of the things that is severed is the ability to use Cinelink 2 DH. If one tries to downgrade...they will have a dead unit. It is a one-way street. One, that we will likely forget within a very short time since it really doesn't matter to 99% of the systems out there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: