Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Using USB Stick with Barco Communicator Touch Panel

Author Topic: Using USB Stick with Barco Communicator Touch Panel
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-14-2012 10:48 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got USB "thumb" drive wackiness.

I've got 2 USB sticks. My Barco (DP2K-32B) recognizes one of them. It doesn't get the name of that drive correct -- instead, it refers to it as "USB sdb1" -- it will save things to that drive, but then I don't see any of those files when I try to use that same drive on my computer (Windows 7).

And then I've got another thumb drive that the TP doesn't recognize at all -- I tried formatting it as NTFS, FAT32 and FAT -- and the drive works fine on my computer, so I know it's not "dead" or anything.

What's going on here..? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 12:28 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of sticks? Do they have any preloaded software on them, like a security password file? (Sandisk has those files.) If so, that may be interfering.

Try a different brand of USB if need be.

Steve Guttag does a lot of Barco IIRC so send him a PM if he doesn't reply here.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-14-2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two that I've been using are both different brands (Kingston and Logicalis) but I suppose they could have been manufactured by the same firm. (FWIW, they are also different capacities.)

Neither seems to have any software installed -- The 2nd one shouldn't because I completely erased and reformatted it several times (trying the different formats FAT, FAT32 and TCBY -- I mean NSFW -- no, no -- it's NTFS.)

I'll bring in another brand (Sandisk) from home and see what happens.

I'm hoping that Steve (or others) will answer here -- that way this thread isn't left dangling. I can wait a day or two.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sticking my oar in here even though I know nothing about it: What about EXT2 or EXT3 format?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the one that doesn't show up at all is using non-standard equipment/drivers that aren't included in the linux build that the barco software uses.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 05:32 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used several flash drives on a DP2K with no issues (all 16GB or lower). Be aware NTFS isn't supported; FAT32 was what our Barco rep suggested and works fine.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid store brand drives because the touchscreen is pretty touchy about what it will recognize. I haven't had problems with any name brand ones. You should stick to FAT32, I've found that the drive won't show up otherwise so any huge sticks you use for large files and formatted NTFS or ext2 won't work either. The system will not use drive names, it just shows up as USB0 or USB1 ... or something like that. Recently I haven't used usb drives much on the touchscreen, it's easier to just transfer files direct to/from a PC running communicator.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-14-2012 11:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- I ended up using the PC -- but I still want to figure out this thumb drive situation -- I'll give it another go tomorrow using these suggestions and report back -- stay tuned

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-15-2012 08:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just dig up a selection of new and old usb sticks and test them. I mean, for the purpose, they don't need to be fast or large capacity, so just find one or two that work and keep them for the doremi.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: