Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 4k DCP List (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 4k DCP List
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anywhere that 4k DCPs are tracked? I know Sony has a half assed list on their site but they didn't even know Dark Knight Rises was 4k until they tweeted it opening night.

|  IP: Logged

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't seem like much officially, but these guys on the german forum do follow quite nice:

http://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/topic/13529-4k-filme/

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 09:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like this resolution info reaches some listing and the end of the string - prob depends on the demand.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-15-2014 05:57 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 608 days since the last post.

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2014 05:57 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have an update on this? As, hopefully, we should be having a 4K update at our cinema i would be interested what will be available in DCP.

[Smile]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-17-2014 02:51 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony list is still the most complete and still maintained public listing I've found up until now.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 06:03 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Sony list has some 2K DCPs on it: Men in Black 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and Heaven Is for Real. The last one was even shot in 1080 (Panavision Genesis HD).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-17-2014 06:17 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That list sure has issues and is by no means complete, it doesn't list any indie releases for example.

But regarding "The Amazing Spider-Man", I vaguely remember a 4K 2D DCP being available (it was primarily shot with RED cameras) and the last one also isn't listed as a 4K release.

The other two, I don't really know. MIB III was primarily shot in Super 35. Also, it was a Sony release and with their investment in 4K, they might as well have scanned this material in 4K and released a 4K 2D DCP with some up-sampled scenes.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 06:53 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran MIB 3 when it was originally released, in both 35mm and DCP, and the 2D version was 2K, like the 3D. I remember being confused about this as it had been touted as a 4K release, and later confirmed with Deluxe that it was just 2K.

It did go through a 4K DI, and the print (one of the last I ran before we went all-digital), which I thought was incredible compared to the DCP, was filmed out at 4K, according to the chart on the heads and tails.

I never handled Spider-Man, but I did see the Deluxe ingest letter, and the 2D was 2K as well. This was also planned to be a 4K release. I don't know if this actually ended up getting a 4K DI, but they did test it out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 08:18 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D is doing a lot to keep movies stuck at 2K. This isn't going to change until those new laser projectors are being installed on a widespread basis. Once all the premium priced theaters have 4K 3D capability then Hollywood studios ***might*** render a bunch of 3D movies in 4K resolution. That's no guarantee though. There's still plenty of 2D only movies being released in 2K.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-17-2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't lasers that is keeping 4K/3D out...it is bandwidth. The new Barco IMS/ICP...aka ICMP module is capable of 4K 3D in a single projector using conventional light sources.

http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/Integrated-Cinema-Media-Processor-ICMP---Option-for-Series-2-projectors.aspx

It will only work in a Barco projector (any series 2) but I don't doubt that the other companies (server and/or projector) will follow suit if 4K 3D becomes something worth investing in.

The realities are that 3D is on the decline and has been for some time now. As predicted, there are those movies where it will seem to add to the experience and 3D will seem like it is on the rebound but by and large, most people don't want to spend the money or fool with the apparatuses that come with the 3D experience.

I don't think many exhibitors want to fool with spending volumes of money upgrading their projectors to laser or ICMPs and the like either...they want their existing purchases to make them money. Those that care about 4K and 3D are such a small piece of the overall pie as to not drive the market. There just isn't enough money to be made of those two being paired to make it worth the effort at this time.

4K is going to happen because technology will make it non-special and not expensive/time consuming...but it will be more evolutionary as new systems come one line and old ones are retired in 10 years or so.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 11:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say lasers were the issue. But the fad/trend of movies needing to be in 3D has been a big factor keeping a lot of movies stuck at 2K rather than having the option of going 4K. If a production wants to do 4K it currently has to do it in 2D only.

Cost (or rather saving money) is another factor hurting 4K use. A decade has passed since the first 4K movies were rendered. One would figure a decade's worth of advances in computer hardware would have made 4K a whole lot cheaper and faster to render. The problem is 2K is always going to be even less expensive and much faster to render than 4K. So why not save the money and just do 2K? After all the movie is only going to be in theaters for maybe a month and then on home video in no more than 1080p.

4K, be it 2D or 3D, isn't going to become "standard" for movie releases until there is a lot of 4K HDTV sets in home living rooms.

In the short term, I do think laser-based 4K projection will take off pretty big in high priced big screen theaters. People are getting price fatigue over 3D. I think some of that problem is going to bleed over into those high cost big screen houses. IMAX and all the other premium high priced big screen concept theaters will be forced to step up their game quite a bit to justify those $16-$24 per ticket price tags.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 09:07 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I don't think many exhibitors want to fool with spending volumes of money upgrading their projectors to laser or ICMPs and the like either...they want their existing purchases to make them money. Those that care about 4K and 3D are such a small piece of the overall pie as to not drive the market. There just isn't enough money to be made of those two being paired to make it worth the effort at this time
I think you are right on about this, most owners/chains will not upgrade, the price will be too high to justify upgrading with laser. There might be a select few locations within each chain that might upgrade. You can forget about the really small independents. We might see some theatres in ultra competitive locations do it to compete with each other.

Santikos Palladium cinema is confirmed for an upgrade to laser. IMAX is confirmed for about 65 total locations worldwide. Cinemark has signed up for laser as well.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-18-2014 11:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital projection gear has a far more limited life span than film projectors. There are thousands of 2K DLP projectors in use that I'm sure theater operators don't want to upgrade. But they will have to replace that gear in just a few years whether they want to or not.

Computer-based hardware does not age well. It can't last like a vintage car or a good film projector. Eventually components will break. If the broken piece of hardware is no longer being manufactured or has no working replacement parts available then the whole device becomes a door stop.

Companies like Barco and Christie may still build d-cinema projectors that use traditional Xenon-based lamps (unless laser projection really takes off in a big way). But all the computerized components going into those new projector models will be different and likely incompatible with older, existing units.

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Santikos Palladium cinema is confirmed for an upgrade to laser. IMAX is confirmed for about 65 total locations worldwide. Cinemark has signed up for laser as well.
I think any theater charging a premium just for a bigger screen is going to be forced to upgrade to laser. Too many other competitors have already announced their intentions to do so. Cinemark intends to put laser projection into its 100+ "XD" theaters. IMAX has its own plans on changing to laser-based projection. I think Regal will be forced to install laser-based projection in all its "RPX" theaters. Same goes for AMC's "ETX" theaters and Carmike's "Big D" theaters.

Sean Goodrich
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2014 10:27 AM      Profile for Sean Goodrich   Email Sean Goodrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Park Circus has a list of their Rep titles in 4K:
http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/558_4k_digital_cinema

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: