Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AP20 & Doremi ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AP20 & Doremi ?
Shlomo Rubin
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 05:08 AM      Profile for Shlomo Rubin   Author's Homepage   Email Shlomo Rubin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, I'm new here and i got to say that I love this place.
On to my question..
We've just opened a new cinema and all the IMAX/4DX/AP20(Auro 3D) is kind of new to me (And to the country [Razz] ).
Just wandering if anybody has worked with the AP20 and Doremi and managed to successfully send commands to the processor through the network?
Tried to search Google.. no success [Frown]

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-12-2012 07:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should call/email Datasat support - there's nothing in the manual regarding this.
If you have a Jnior automation device you can easily use it to send serial commands to the AP20 by sending the ethernet commands to the Jnior... OK maybe not easy but it's not really hard just a bit complicated. There are two ways actually: TCP/IP to serial conversion and using serial control from the "cinema Jnior" package. Probably other automation devices can do this but we've only done it with the Jnior.

Shlomo Rubin
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Shlomo Rubin   Author's Homepage   Email Shlomo Rubin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering so fast Dave, no i don't have Jnior.. but I did manage to connect to the Processor and send him commands via TELNET. The problem is Doremi Servers don't come with telnet pre-installed and i cannot find a way to install it. (DAMN YOU GOOGLE!) every solution i found online (regarding linux in general) gave me an error... Any idea on how i can install telnet ?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-12-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't install anything on a doremi. Why should you? If you want to send commands to or access the AP20, connect a computer on the same network and do your tests using it. But I would call Datasat and ask them, easier and faster solution!

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 01:20 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were able to control the processor using telnet, you should be able to control it using the Doremi "raw device." The setup would be something similar to this, which describes how to set up a Doremi raw device for a USL JSD-100.

Good luck!

Harold

Shlomo Rubin
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 04:29 PM      Profile for Shlomo Rubin   Author's Homepage   Email Shlomo Rubin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I Cannot contact Doremi/Datasat because the projection manager (for the whole company) is a bit block headed, doesn't want us the call them, yet won't do it himself.
But my supervisor said it's ok if i mess with it myself [Big Grin]

2. Marco Giustini: The AP20 is connected to the switch which is connected to the library, when i ping the IP of the AP20 from the doremi-server i get response yet when i try to ping it from the library no such success (even though i can ping the doremi-server ip and the christie).

3. Harold Hallikainen: I found this AP20 Ethernet Commands Manual executed the auth and fader commands from my pc (when connected directly to the ap20) all worked fine, used the device manager to make an AP20 raw this was the text i sent:
"@AUTH <the_pass>\tFADER 50" (without the quotes and with the real pass) Macro was executed successfully yet didn't change anything.

Thanks abunch guys [Smile]

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you end your commands with a carriage return ---> " <cr> " ?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 07:57 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that you may need a carriage return (though I don't know the command structure for that processor). On the Doremi, a carriage return is entered as \r. Also, you MAY want to put \w before and after the command (after the \r if needed) to insert a delay before and after the command. The Doremi server sets up the connection, sends the command, then drops the connection very quickly. Not all equipment can catch this. Surrounding with \w generally makes it work if that was the problem.

Good luck!

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 05:42 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need the <CR> at the end.

I think the command should be

@AUTH [password]<CR>
FADER 70<CR>

Also, make sure your RAW device is set to port 14500

If you cannot ping the AP20 from the library, the library is possibly on a different network, or on the wrong subnet. Can you provide the IP addresses and the SM of all your gear?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 07:53 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure your AP20 is on the management network: the projector and one of the server ethernet ports will be conected to this switch. The other switch (media) will be useless for controlling the AP20. It sounds like that is OK but I don't think the library should be able to ping the projector and not the AP20: even if the server is bridging the networks, both should be pingable.
The macro "executed successfully" means almost nothing. If the server was connecting to the AP20 and got an error message back from it, it will give you an error message rather than "executed successfully" but if the device is not present then the server macro happily sends the message nowhere and says it executed successfully. That message just means there was no error, not that all went perfectly.
Try the command with the correct port and with the LF termination string /r (there's also LF/CR which is maybe /s/r but check the Doremi manual)

Shlomo Rubin
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 10:40 AM      Profile for Shlomo Rubin   Author's Homepage   Email Shlomo Rubin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following lines were attempted no success.
"@AUTH pass<cr>
FADER 50<cr>"

"@AUTH pass\r
FADER 50"

"\w\w\w@AUTH pass\r\w\w\wFADER 50"

Is there a way to make doremi return a message frombthe AP20?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try to send the password on a separate command, it will be valid until the ethernet connection is in place

@AUTH pass\r

Then, on a separate macro, try

FADER 50\r

"pass" is your password of course. Could you confirm your device is set on the correct port?

Shlomo Rubin
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 11:03 AM      Profile for Shlomo Rubin   Author's Homepage   Email Shlomo Rubin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.. 14500 but if use another line wouldn't it terminate?
Didn't work :-(

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you try

FADER 50\r\w

? (you need to give the password at least once before trying)

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very easy to send commands thru network to the AP20 from a Doremi with out downloading anything to the Doremi or AP20. I don't have a released Datasat document yet but I can provide you the draft, send me a PM request. I'll move forward to get this document released and posted here on Film-Tech. Never hesitate to contact a manufacture for product help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: