Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » No Picture or No Video error NEC 1200C

Author Topic: No Picture or No Video error NEC 1200C
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a problem that the techs are calling a No Picture or No Video error. It is only on one projector and currently happens once per day (or seems to). The tech’s have been 3 times, updated software, unplugged and re-plugged all the boards.

The bulb lights, the dowser opens but there is no picture on the screen. You have to re-boot and start over and it works fine.

Does anyone have a clue for a real solution to this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-06-2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9 times out of 10 this sort of thing is related to the Enigma board or the mediablock driving the image.

Since you say you have more than one machine...i would move the "legacy" board and see if the problem moves. Note, you MUST have the ability to re-marry the projector to get it to run after pulling ANY boards.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by our contract I can't do that but I can suggest it to the service tech.

Thanks Steve I will be sure and tell him what I have uncovered. and mention your name.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-07-2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a contract for someone to do the work then I would have just left it with them rather than seeking advice from F-T...I don't like the "committee" method of service work.

As this has shown...it does little good since you are not allowed to do much more than "suggest" things to tech. I know how much I dislike people "helping" me figure out a problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2012 12:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Steve, that's your own problem since you had to go and be more knowledgeable than most everyone else. [Razz]

Joking aside, I do know what you're saying when people try to help with ridiculous steps like "did you try a different xenon" when you can't get a transport though. Still putting those helpful bits of advice aside, I and most everyone I know am very welcoming of tips since after all this stuff is new to everyone.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-08-2012 01:41 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Further, I may not know if I can solve a problem myself without asking for advice somewhere like here.

If the answer to a question is "call a tech", that's fine.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-08-2012 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not seeking advice it is seeking advice when your only real option (due to policy) is to just call your own tech.

The advice, in this situation is something you can not act upon.

Conversely, from a tech's point of view, I would not want some person, looking over my shoulder, telling me how to troubleshoot a problem based on what he found out on the Internet. If I went to a surgeon for a procedure, I would start to tell them how to do the operation either...even if I read about it on Wikipedia.

My presumption here was that the person seeking advice had the ability/authority to actually do repairs.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2012 08:53 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve they have worked on it 3 or 4 times and not fixed it. It is under warranty and it is, has been and will remain a warranty issue. I have to give him advice and get it changed out before the end of the warranty period or it becomes our dime. I am not above finding out what is wrong and making suggestions to the tech. It is my job to protect the company I work for from unwarranted charges.

I do have the ability just not the authority. I honor contracts but when the company with a contract to fix it isn't doing so I will always seek out advice. They think software updates will fix it and that ain't working.

And a film tech is in no way like a surgeon. First a surgeon would gladly seek advice on something he wasn't able to figure out. If the patient is uncomfortable with what the surgeon is going to do he can seek out a second opinion. And lots of people do read up on what is wrong with them so they can ask questions of the surgeon. I suppose from your comment we are to take blindly the word of tech. I think perhaps that sounds a bit arrogant.

I happen to know quite well about the surgeon aspect. I am facing my second Major Surgery in a year in October or November. And I have researched them and questioned the surgeon a great deal and he never had his feelings hurt.

I owe my loyalty to the company I work for not the those contracted in. Any hurt feelings is the lest of my concerns in this matter. The tech is an adult he can handle it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I would not want some person, looking over my shoulder, telling me how to troubleshoot a problem based on what he found out on the Internet.
If I had a tech come in, and I had found some possible solution on the internet, I'd just tell him about that after describing the problem. "It's doing X, and the only idea I had is this from the internet....." and then he's free to have at it. I would never go look over a tech's shoulder in the booth, unless asked. I might stop into the booth every half hour or so and ask how's it going, do you need anything, that kind of thing. But other than that my way is to just let'em be.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never look over their shoulder I do discuss what is being done.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-08-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
...Any hurt feelings is the lest of my concerns in this matter. The tech is an adult he can handle it.
My feelings exactly. And if the tech is so arrogant as to not bother to listen to what the client has to say then said tech deserves to lose that client.

In all the years I have been a tech I for one appreciate any and all input from the client in regards to a problem, even their diagnosis. Sometimes, that steers me into a solution to the problem at hand.

But the bigger problem is the client who has no clue/doesn't pay attention to ANY of the symptoms of the problem, which means I have to spend extra time trying to replicate the problem.

No one knows everything, myself included. Even after 26 years at this, there are always surprises and odd situations where it falls under "Never seen that before." [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: