Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP750 vs CP650

Author Topic: Dolby CP750 vs CP650
William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 07:44 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I've been offered a used CP650 (with all options installed for digital cinema sound) but as this is to be used purely with a server and no film at all (at least for the foreseeable future) I'm wondering if we should in fact opt for new CP750 which would seem to come in at around the same price.
Which is regarded as the better/more flexible processor for an all digital install?
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-06-2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really boils down to this, since your pricing is comparable:

Is there even the slightest chance you will need to run film now or in the future? Get the CP650.

If you are 100% and I mean totally 100% POSITIVE that you will NEVER, EVER run film again (I hope I emphasized that enough) then get the CP750 as it is a great processor and has a few features that the 650 doesn't.

Based on those conditions you won't go wrong.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 01:29 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony,
Well never say never. I'm certain we will never ever run any film in this venue as that's virtually a physical impossibility - the NEC will be mounted on the front of the balcony due to lack of space.
But if we had to move venue again it's not impossible that we might want to run film, but then we already have a CP45 and a CP55 so that's not a big issue I think? What sort of facilities does the 750 have that the 650 does not by the way?
Thanks.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-06-2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, thanks for the extra info. Since you have the CP45 (which I would toss in the bin) and the CP55 then a 750 would be your best choice.

The 750 has one feature which I think is the best: It has an optical toslink input which is compatible with consumer gear for feeding audio from say a blu-ray or dvd player. It provides Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro-Logic and Pro Logic II decoding depending on the data stream coming in.

It also has 8 ch. analog audio input, (2) AES single inputs and (1) 4xAES input (For use with the server.)

It is basically like having a CP-650 and DMA-8 combo in one box.

Here's the scoop: CP 750

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 01:48 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks that's really useful info - I'm not that familiar with the 650 so was not sure of the extra features the 750 had in comparison. We will be running DVD & BluRay alongside DCP so will certainly bear this in mind.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-06-2012 01:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. And another thing which may be helpful for your venue, you can buy optical Toslink switches so you can connect more than one player to that same input without having to swap optical cables.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-08-2012 10:30 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 750 has enough extra features to make it the right choice. The 650 also has some problems with the AES digital input (occasional but nasty, and with a used unit you won't be under warranty - and you don't want to pay ~$14,000 for a new 650 I'm sure). CP750 ethernet control is pretty much effortless, the 650 version is not so simple if you want to use it (unless you use a Dolby server).
If you want to go film again: just use the CP55 for film optical, flatten or bypass the EQ, and feed it's 5.1 output into the CP750 8 channel analog input. Getting SR-D is a bit less simple but you would connect a DA20 to the CP55 just like always and still go through the 750.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 09:14 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave for adding to Tony's input. Yeah, I'm pretty much certain that for the foreseeable future the 750 would be the wisest choice as no 35mm is on the agenda for this venue at all. Prices here are pretty fair at the moment for a 750 and having spent a shed-load of money on just a lens the cost of the 750 seems quite modest in comparison really..
Thanks again for the opinions - it's helped me make up my mind.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2012 12:52 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an update - a new CP750 is now on its way to us!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-25-2012 02:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it seems you now have moved from your original site to a new location, thus a new lens and new sound processor? What's different to the old location now? New amps/speakers as well? I remember in the previous location you had a stereo speaker setup?

- Carsten

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2012 05:33 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good memory Carsten! Yes, we had to leave the old location when our 10-year cinema business was hijacked by a local film club in collaboration with the town council, but that's another story...

The NEC NC800 and server package was originally bought with the first venue in-mind but due to the complications mentioned above was never installed (by the way I now have a spare very long-throw lens if somebody needs one!)

The new venue is a fairly comfortable 150 seat theatre in the same town. It has a balcony and absolutely nowhere to mount any 35mm equipment - hence the move to digital now (which would have happened anyway at some point soon).

The proj is to be mounted on the front of the balcony (which makes for a very short throw to the screen) and controlled/fed from a control room on the ground floor under the balcony. It's what you would call an 'intimate' venue in dimensions.

What else is new? We have a new 5m wide perf electric roll-down screen masked to 2.39.
We also have two additional amps on the way and some new but fairly modest stage speakers. The venue is pretty dead acoustically (the exact opposite of the last venue) and I don't anticipate any problems getting good sound in there. Sound will be 5.1 via the new CP750

This is all funded by me so finances are tight and much of the basic installation is being done by us and theatre staff. Once everything is lined-up and working we will have an engineer for a day (one of Pete Naples colleagues) to calibrate the sound and colour etc.

The screen is being fitted this week - wish me luck!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2012 04:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard my name, don't wear it out!

I reckon the CP750 is the right choice for you, just to echo the sentiments above.

Good luck with it all William, I'm not sure who's coming to your gaff. I'd come myself but Brighton is a hell of a way. Although it's a place I've always fancied visiting. Maybe I'll do the London-Brighton run one of these days in whichever old car I've got on the road at the time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: