Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC800C picture size

Author Topic: NEC NC800C picture size
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an NEC NC800C projector with a lens that doesn't quite fit our screen. If we zoom out all the way, flat still spills about 8 inches top and bottom. It's too much to crop with the software. I cant move the maskings any further out. Getting the next size lens is not an option. How can I scale down the picture? Will doing so degrade the image in any way?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-03-2012 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is yes and yes.

You CAN scale down the picture and it will degrade it. Think about it. You are taking a 1080 picture and making it fit to something less than 1080...where did the pixels go? We if you are scaling, it will get spread out over several pixels and thus loss of resolution.

You will want to use the Digital Cinema Communicator (for series 1) and log in at the Service level. Load up the format you want and then go to the "title" page. Look down to where it has the "Screen File Select" and you will see the file that is currently in use. Click on the "Setting" button to the right of the screen file. This will open up another screen...you are interested in the "Screen Presentation" section...that is the scaler. Lower the Uppers and Raise the Lowers until the image height fits...it will maintain the same 1.85 ratio so the width of the image will also get smaller.

When looking at test targets...it will look scaled (it is!)...with actual content, you'll find that it isn't so bad...unless you are doing critical screenings.

Note, if you are familiar with the TI DLP program, many of us find that easier to use...either way you'll want to save your settings to a "screen" file (filename.scr) to be called by the "Title."

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 06:12 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2012 06:43 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, Richard,
We have been experimenting with resizing on an NEC NC800 ahead of a self-install at a venue during August. Yes, when you are projecting a test pattern you can easily see that resolution has been lost (noticeable on very fine detail) but as Steve says you would be really hard-pushed to spot that when projecting an actual real-world image rather than a test image.
By the way Steve, where can I find the TI software you mentioned?

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-04-2012 06:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TI software is normally included with any TI update...you'll need the series 1 version though (not the ICP/Enigma version). So if you have a TI 14 or 15 update, you will likely have (in a zipped folder) the TI update program and the TI control program (two separate ones in series 1).

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2012 07:04 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.. I don't have any software. The projector came already upgraded to the latest firmware (apparently) when we bought it last Summer.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-04-2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you not have access to any projector support site (it is the same software for the three DLP companies). Note, you will need suitable passwords to use the TI programs.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will that "NC-800" Communicator software also work with the predecessor NEC projector, the NEC iS-8?

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-04-2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe so...the iS8 (which was concurrent, not not just a predecessor) has its own communicator called something like PC Control Software. The TI software should work on both though.

-Steve

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 09:16 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I've looked into this today with NEC and the TI software is only available to 'authorised installation technicians'. I'm not one of those and so it means the only way is to spend $$$ on an 'authorised' technician (and no offence intended to all you techs out there). While I understand the need to protect the quality of installations it is somewhat frustrating when I can do much of this myself given the right resources. If anybody can help me out please PM me.
I need to adjust convergence and I would imagine the TI software is exactly what I need to do this..
At a certain point I will need a tech for some of the install so I guess the more hidden aspects of the NEC can be dealt with then.
Many thanks anyway.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 10:47 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Convergence is a purely opto-mechanical adjustment. It's a PITA on the NEC to be honest, you have to stick your hands and tooling into the expensive bits of the projector, so it's a task that requires patience and a steady hand.

You can do very coarse convergence adjustment in the TI software, but it's best done by physically moving the chips relative to each other, whilst observing the appropriate test patter. I made that sound a lot easier than it actually is.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Thanks Pete, I was thinking that if it was purely a software adjustment I couldn't foul it up in an unrecoverable way - but.. as you say sticking tools and and un-trained hands into the expensive bits sounds risky. I might pass on it and leave it to somebody else!
Tips appreciated - thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: