Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ingesting DVD content?

Author Topic: Ingesting DVD content?
Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an easy way to ingest a feature from DVD onto the server so as to compile it in a playlist using DoreMi on a DCP-2K4?

We often run older or minority interest film from DVD, and it can look very obvious to the audience, and somewhat naff, especially as there's no ads or trailers, just the DVD menu!

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-27-2012 06:45 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Content run from the server has to be in a "DCP" package. I believe Doremi will play an MPEG content DCP somehow (I've never a see it done though) but you still have to make the package. It's possible to do this yourself with assorted free or $$$ software tools, but you did specify "easy way".

Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 07:24 AM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's much as I thought ... and why I specified "easy"!

I've got a copy of DCP Creator but never got past the German intro page. Anyone know if this would tackle a whole DVD feature?

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 08:24 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCP Creator will create J2K DCPs from single frames only. So you would have to rip the BluRay/DVD to uncompressed BMP, TIF or DPX files and extract the sound track. There is no real time conversion, a minute of footage may take between 20 and 40 minutes if you use a standard PC.

BTW, if you click on DCPC > Downloads, there is an English language Manual for DCP Creator.

DCPC Manual / Installation download

I recommend you get a good media PC and use something like Slysoft's AnyDVD software. This will allow you to copy the feature film only (no menus) to harddisk and play it from there, which is IMHO safer than a standalone BR/DVD player only.

However, your Doremi will play DCPs in MPEG2 format which also can be created with DCP Creator. But you have to convert the BR/DVD video to a M2V stream first.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 05:34 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD-o-matic is intended to help with this kind of thing... it's still quite new and not that well tested, but it would be interesting to hear if you have any joy with it.

On Windows at least you will need a separate DVD ripper (like AnyDVD) for now.

In theory though it will sort everything else out for you ... [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-03-2012 06:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl...that sounds quite interesting indeed. I'm going to refer some customers of mine to it since they do that sort of thing. How does it handle BluRays? Any HDCP issues?

-Steve

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 06:54 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

I haven't done a lot of testing with Blu-Ray, though the library which does the video decoding (FFmpeg) can handle them. DVD-o-matic doesn't really get involved with the ripping-from-disc part --- it's hard [Smile] I think on Windows AnyDVD is your best bet for getting the video off the disc (and dealing with HDCP etc.), which you can then pass to DVD-o-matic.

I should mention also that DVD-o-matic is slow; the only benchmark I have so far is that it does about a frame-and-a-bit per second on a Intel Core i3 2.27GHz (ie around 20 times slower than real time). So features take a long time, but if you have a computer that you can just leave to it... [Smile]

It's all quite new, so bear in mind that if it breaks you get to keep both pieces [Wink] But I'd be happy to try and help fix problems.

Cheers

Carl

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 09:46 AM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds very useful software but unfortunately will not install on my Win 7 64bit pc.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 10:52 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William,

I haven't tested it on Windows 7 or 64-bit yet... let me see if I can get a Windows virtual machine up and running to fix it up. If you want to drop me a line at cth (at) carlh.net I'll email you when I've done some testing.

Regards

Carl

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with dvd-o-matic the configure script doesn't find the libdcp-0.8 installed to /usr/local/{include,lib}

I'm running gentoo linux over here.

Tried running:
1) ./waf configure
2) CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib/" ./waf configure

It looks like the perl script is looking for a "/usr/local/lib/libdcp" if I'm reading the perl correctly, but inside /usr/local/lib/ I only have libasdcp-libdcp.so, libdcp.so, libkumu-libdcp.so, and directories for perl5 and pkgconfig

PS it's not mentioned in the README but libdcp depends on libxml++.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 07:17 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris

libdcp should be found using pkg-config. What does

pkg-config --cflags --libs libdcp

return?

Do you have /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig on your PKG_CONFIG_PATH?

Thanks for the note on the README.

Best regards

Carl

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 08:08 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Both as regular user and root PKG_CONFIG_PATH is empty.

# pkg-config --cflags --libs libdcp
Package libdcp was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libdcp.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libdcp' found

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris

Maybe try

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig ./waf configure

on DVD-o-matic ?

Cheers

Carl

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 08:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it worked.

err... now there's a build error. I think I'll send you an email instead of spamming the thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: