Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » overheating Barco? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: overheating Barco?
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, last night, my projector shut the lamp off 27 minutes into Brave. With 35 minutes of preshow, 8 minutes of trailers, and then 27 of movie... I figure it was on an hour and 10 minutes. After half an hour I was able to turn it back on and finish the movie, but about 4 minutes into the credits, it shut off again. So I had gotten another hour and 10 minutes.

It is hot as hell in my booth. The room's air handler vents are doing what they can and the roof vent seems to be working. The filters are cleanish. My question is.... other than standing there with an improvised swamp cooler, pointing a fan directly at the rear intake, is there anything I can do to cool it off more? I know it's hot as hell here right now, but surely I'm not the first person to ever deal with a hot booth?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Did you have a look at the temperatures on the touchpanel/communicator? You need first to find out what is overheating: light engine, LVPS, ballast, lamp...
Make sure your liquid cooling is working properly, sometimes a little air bubble can prevent the fluid to circulate. If the DMDs are overheating, I'd replace the coolant, stictly following Barco's instruction in doing it.

As a temporary measure, you may want to reduce your lamp wattage a bit to avoid shut downs. What lamp have you got?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a "split air conditioner" just for my projection room. It cost under $2000 installed when I purchased it in the spring of 2011, shortly after I got my digital cinema setup.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^ What they said. Also make SURE your projection booth exhaust blower is working. It may be shutting down from the extreme heat, which will make your projector overheat and eventually shut down.

And does your booth have any A/C? If so, why isn't it working? You need to correct that, otherwise all of your equipment including the server are at risk of early failure due to the heat.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what they said! [Smile]
Also remember that an A/C unit must be spec'd for the environment. Have a professional coming and evaluate the BTUs required. Usually in a projection booth you need powerful units, don't be tempted by cheap "home" units seen at the hardware store, that is money wasted.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a similar experience; a fire damper in the plenum in the ceiling had the lead break let go causing the spring loaded damper plate to shut down a lot of my exhaust flow.. getting my booth hot that contained my BARCO.

I found this when I took out the module and notice a very weak air draw going up the stack.

Got building mnt to replace that damper lead break so I can get my flow back to normal.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 05:11 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord on our NEC's you have 5 minute cool down, a 30 minute cool down sounds excessive. We have exhaust and the only way we over heat is a D*ckHead forgets to turn it on. So the pan exhaust now stay on just as the ones on the roof. No more overheating.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a normal "cool down" like NEC and Christie have, Barco does not have such a cool down. This is an overheated projector shutting down with an alarm that will not start again until it cools down from the overheating - and that took a 30 minute wait.
Barco specifies that the ambient temperature must be below 95F. Plus there has to be a lamphouse exhaust fan.
What overheated specifically? The diagnostic warning message when it shut down may have said, or you can look at all the temperatures measured and see which are approaching the limit.
It does sound to me like an exhaust failure - weak fan or a closed fire damper.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't realise that. I doubt that it takes 30m to clear the overheat error. It should really take a few minutes from the moment the lamp goes down.
Could you tell us more about the error shown?

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2012 03:11 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And do specify if it was a B-series or C-series projector, or if it was the old DPxy00.

Having repeated shutdowns that are time and not temperature based seems more like a circuit problem, but might still just be an exhaust issue. Is there enough pressure in the exhaust to lift that little aluminum switch thing (dont know what that little bugger is called) in the exhaust pipe of the barco?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-15-2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco C series (S2) projectors don't have vane switches, nor do the DP1500 or DP2000. The 1.4" B series systems do have them, you will get a diags warning if it doesn't lift.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2012 06:15 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, the B series has them but i wasnt sure about the older models. But apparently she has the C series, so +1 on the overheating.

just check the logs on the projector and monitor the temp readings. Tell us what you find.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-15-2012 10:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, if you are going to run your booth that hot...you are going to kill your equipment...projectors, servers...etc. This isn't your father's film projector!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-16-2012 12:17 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Remember, if you are going to run your booth that hot...you are going to kill your equipment...projectors, servers...etc. This isn't your father's film projector!
Someone already covered that: [Roll Eyes]

quote: Dark Lord of D-Cinema
And does your booth have any A/C? If so, why isn't it working? You need to correct that, otherwise all of your equipment including the server are at risk of early failure due to the heat.
[Big Grin] [Razz]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2012 09:18 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong - if you are not properly cooling your D-Cinema equipment - doesn't that void the warranty?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: