Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Warranty hours on bulbs

Author Topic: Warranty hours on bulbs
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had our second bulb in 3 months go out well before warranty hours. Is there some problem with digital bulbs? Is this a normal occurrence?

It is frustrating as heck. The paper work got lost on the last warranty that was sent in and I was in the hospital so no one knew we didn't have a backup. Well I didn't at least.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would depend on the brand.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brand is Philips and think by contract we have to use that bulb.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any issues with digital lamps from Philips thus far (though this circuit just uses one model from them right now, the XDC6000N). Which lamp size / model is giving you problems? What projector do you have? What mode of failure are you experiencing?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They refuse to light. Only we re-booted just one more time (about the 6th)and it lights now. Have to call and let them know at service now. Oh Joy.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, which projector are you using?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have NEC's I think it is the 1200C's not sure the letter on it though. I can't run up and check because of the restrictions.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um. What restrictions??

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surgical had major emergency surgery the 2nd of may and have a boat load of restrictions. I couldn't pick up more than 3 pounds at first up to 8 now. Can't do stairs (though I do on occasion) till August. A 14 inch incision down the middle is hard to heal.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that! Here I was thinking some company restriction that prevented you from entering the booth or something. Get well soon!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2012 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, we've used Phillips and Ushio bulbs and haven't had an issue with either.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ushio bulbs are hands down the best. Yes they cost a little bit more, but you get NOTICEABLY longer life out of them and I've never had one explode. They have also just released even longer life bulbs this month:

NEC

BARCO

Money-wise (for anyone that can actually do the math), Ushios are the cheapest, and they also put out the best light.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 02:35 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with the general assumption from Brad, I did not spot any issues on Philips "low to middle" (say 4K max) bulbs for digital there anyway.

Ron : probably an issue related to projector or projector environment: are you sure extraction is okay on this screen (enough) ? no more infos on the logs that could point to an ignitor issue?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is software issue where the juice isn't coming up as the bulb ages. We have had some glitches in the projectors. I am betting the other bulb is fine as well. There are no color or brightness issues on the screen. Our pictures are beautiful as can be.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would appear that I am right that the amps are not increasing as the bulb ages at some point. Reboots (several of them) seem to take care of it eventual. Service is coming to out to "fix" it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: