Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Volfoni 3D

Author Topic: Volfoni 3D
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 04:42 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone any experience of Volfoni 3D?

There appears to be 2 versions, passive polarised which looks like a cross between MasterImage and RealD.

Also an active system which lookds like Xpand.

http://www.volfoni.com/marche-cine.html

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 07:15 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished my second install with the Active system, it works great and looks great. Very easy to install, and the cabling they provide makes it pretty much "plug and play" (at least with Dolby DSS200 and Christie CP-2210 and 2220.)

The active glasses seem pretty sturdy and are comfortable (at least for my melon).

The control box has "internal emitters" built in so you can, if the control box isn't buried in the rack, use the glasses in the booth easily to check your images.

Drawbacks: One major one, there is virtually NO documentation with these systems, but they did have great support online when we had a minor issue last week.

The cable from the projector to the control box is a bit on the short side but you can easily extend it (and the emitter panel cables) with a standard DB9 male to female extension.

And finally (don't know if this is a drawback really) the glasses use the CR2032 flat batteries.

Otherwise, I'd give it a 4 out of five stars. [beer]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2012 07:01 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony, that's veru useful. I've got a customer interested in it.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2012 10:21 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panastereo do a good active 3d, you can even wash the glasses [Smile]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-12-2012 12:01 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome Pete. [Smile] Cameron, got a link to those glasses and do they sell the complete system? (If it uses IR to control the glasses.)

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 06:44 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panastereo 3D is an active glasses system complete with IR distribution hardware.
Ray Derrick, occasionally active on this forum, is the guy to speak to about it...

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete - I've got some experience with Volfoni... I think I've even got a demo set of the active system in the garage (don't tell Marc John!).

It is *very* similar to XpanD - the control boxes appear to have come out of the same factory, and in some experiments both emitters and glasses were compatible with early XpanD systems (not later ones).

Our mutual friend Rob Younger had a system at his Richmond cinema before he put the dual projector system in.

Some people prefer the glasses to the XpanD ones; the ability to clip different arms on to switch between adult/child sizes is a plus. I have heard some negative comment about battery life, but I'm not sure how serious this is.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 05:55 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Newitt
Some people prefer the glasses to the XpanD ones; the ability to clip different arms on to switch between adult/child sizes is a plus.
XpanD also has child-sized ear pieces and nose pieces available for their X101 glasses.

I've only tried Volfoni active glasses on once, and that wasn't in an actual showing so can't comment on the image quality... The glasses are notably lighter than XpanD's X101 glasses (the heavier, machine-washable model) and even slightly lighter than XpanD X103. However, the nosepiece is somehow much less comfortable on my face compared to XpanD. It just feels a bit tight even though my nose is pretty narrow, and a colleague with a very different facial structure noted the same thing.

I've heard claims that Volfoni is brighter than XpanD, but it would sure be nice to see some independent test results. Anyone...?

By the way, Volfoni seems to be included in the FHD3DGI licensee list, which might mean that they will soon be compatible between various other active 3D systems – including but not limited to XpanD.

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2012 06:58 AM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Volfoni is no brighter than XpanD - or indeed any non-Dolby 3D system - it's just marketing guff.

I was a party to side by side tests between Volfoni, XpanD, and RealD. The only significant difference (more than the odd % or two) was for the XL unit.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2012 08:23 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks!

According to the usually quoted figures, XpanD should be around 20% brighter than Z-screen RealD (18% efficiency vs. 15%) but it's interesting to hear about your test result.

It might worth noting that when XpanD updated their recommended projector settings last year to ensure compatibility with new glass models, they increased the dark time from 700 μs to 1100 μs. That means a darker picture – I didn't measure it, but the difference is enough to be visible on a naked eye.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-25-2012 04:49 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many different versions of shutter glasses out there now, no one can really tell brightness by manufacturer. Even Volfoni has three different glasses, and of these, two different LCD technologies are used even in the same glasses type.

Current Volfoni glasses are brighter than older versions of Xpand glasses. I have no comparison with the more recent Xpand glasses. I also like the design and weight of the Volfoni glasses a lot more. They are very light and decent looking, I hate these ugly phantom-of-the-opera masks that some manufacturer (incl. Panavision) sell.

- Carsten

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2012 06:33 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Volfoni glasses that I tried on were of the EDGE 1.2 variety. They looked something like this.

One of the testimonials at Panavision's web site actually mentions the ugliness of their glasses as an advantage: less glasses stolen by patrons. [Big Grin]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-25-2012 08:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Volfoni Edge Manual with techspecs:

http://www.volfoni.com/IMG/pdf/MUV110064-V1R2_EDGE1-2_UserManual_ENG.pdf

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: