Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What causes the screen to go pink? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: What causes the screen to go pink?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-08-2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at this. How does this happen?

-

This happened during the trailers and required a complete reboot. Christie projector, not sure what kind of server. I could probably find that out, though.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-08-2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that should be a wrong colour space. Looks like your projector was set for 2D and you were sending 3D content.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. That's OPERATOR error, not equipment failure.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Artistic intent!

While it is operator error. I can't believe in this day and age that SMPTE/DCI and whomever else when all of this was "conceived" that the metadata couldn't ensure such things wouldn't happen. Seriously, the content should instruct the projector how to play as well as the server...this includes for any new fangled sound process too.

The installer can then designate each format as they come out on the projector...for now, 2D/3D Flat/Scope...etc so that the meta data selects the proper format...to help the installer, the projector companies could have them default to the "common" positions.

All it takes is one misplaced 3D CPL in a pack to through off a player and put it into 3D mode for the whole show (it could even be a 3D "blank" that ruins it).

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-08-2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily operator error. I had that happen to me once, about three weeks after I got my digital cinema setup. I rebooted the projector and restarted the movie and all was well. Since I changed nothing from the previous show (which worked) and did nothing other than press PLAY to start the next show, it couldn't have been operator error in my case.

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2012 04:52 PM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When one of our houses was a CP-2000/DCP-2000 setup, this would happen sporadically. In the middle of the first or second trailer, the projector would just switch to the wrong channel out of nowhere. We never figured out the exact cause, but adding time between commands inside the starting macros seemed to make it happen less often. When it happened, the fix was to just switch to the correct channel.

Or it could be operator error.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can happen also when an assigned template is used when building a playlist, but wrong content format is inserted.

One can add some 3D content in a 2D template and the server still will report the playlist as playable.

(this is one nice thing with Sony units: if using a 2D template and 3D content is added in the playlist, the playlist will become unplayable. thus Sony will lock the playlist out).

What can be easily done is to change the macro on the projector back to what content is supposed to be presented.

Also, the projector needs to be rebooted (a cold boot if possible) on a weekly basis if this happens on occasion outside of operator error - help clean out 'stale memory'

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-08-2012 11:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
the metadata couldn't ensure such things wouldn't happen
This presumes that the metadata is correct. The first trailer for Chernobyl Diaries was flagged as a feature!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens on our NEC machine once in a great while. Maybe once every 4 months, or less. If (for some reason) we have just played a 2-D movie and are switching to a 3-D one, this can happen. On switching from 3-D to 2-D, a similar situation can happen but the screen will be bright green instead.

Usually just restarting the movie will clear it, but occasionally nothing but a full cold reboot will do it. For what these machines cost I don't know why this problem even exists, but I keep hoping someday a "software update" will take care of it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, we have now entered the 'computer world' with screen presentations - a far from perfect method than what film gave us.

Doesn't your NEC have macro buttons where you can just simply press to change between formats - like hold the CTRL button down while pressing the desired macro button?

If so and doing such doesn't work, then you know it's time to do the reboot.

Lot easier and faster than doing a reboot.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens on our NEC machine one or twice a month.
Changing format or rebooting the projector does not help.

But rebooting the Dolby server helps.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long does it take to do a reboot?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that my TV is smarter than digital cinema projectors and servers. It will play whatever's sent to it in the proper mode, 2D or 3D. You guys are playing with kid's stuff which is still full of bugs. The manufacturers of this equipment should feel bad.

quote:
The first trailer for Chernobyl Diaries was flagged as a feature!
Geez! How hard is it for these companies to check for this kind of stuff before they send it out? It's too much to ask for, apparently.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 06:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paer Hoegberg
This happens on our NEC machine one or twice a month.
Changing format or rebooting the projector does not help.

But rebooting the Dolby server helps.

Yep this happens with our Christies every once in a while. The only thing I've found to "fix" it is to reboot the projector, which on the ZX's takes several minutes.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some other causes of pink screen:

Loose or bad SDI cable;
Server error;
Running too many lesbian movies;
Running too many breast cancer awareness PSA's.
[Big Grin]

Ain't digital wonderful? [Razz] (Just finished install #4 btw.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: