Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » JURASSIC PARK and ID4 coming in 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JURASSIC PARK and ID4 coming in 3-D
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-04-2012 11:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just learned JURASSIC PARK and ID4 will be coming back to theatres next year but this time, it will be in post converted 3-D. ID4 is coming out exactly a year from now on the 4th and JURASSIC PARK is coming out a month earlier. Although I did not care for the post converted work that was done on STAR WARS "The Phantom Menace", I thought the work done on THE LION KING and TITANIC was excellent. I did not see BEAUTY & THE BEAST in 3-D but I heard that was good too. Two more DIsney movies are also being converted to 3-D, FINDING NEMO coming on 9/14 and THE LITTLE MERMAID next year.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2012 12:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-05-2012 12:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
("UGH" is right. Is this a sign of desperation from the studios just to keep 3D screen releases alive?)

"the Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast" along with "Titanic" were well produced in the 3D conversion.
True, "SW:EPI" didn't hit the mark too well - rather a sloppy conversion. Hope FOX can do better with the conversion for "ID4".
Wondering on which company Universal will use to do the conversion to "JP".
I've seen the 3D trailers on "Nemo" and this one will be another winner from Disney, but as with "BB", the boxoffice numbers didn't win first place as did "the Lion King"'s 3D release, thus wonder if "Nemo" can do better.

Sadly, it's just too danged bad that a 3D process can't be invented where you didn't lose the contrast from the image where you notice the nice contrast in a standard release - both film and digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-05-2012 01:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a sign of desperation. It's a sign that those 3-D re-releases are big money makers. Anytime you can spend about $5 million and take 50 or 60 million to the bank… That's a no-brainer.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 02:47 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes wherever dollars appear the studios are near.
These are short term dollar decisions like most are today from the corporate run pathetic studios.
They are pathetic and soulless who care only about the short term gain no matter what!
They will release great conversions along with the crap conversions and never stop till they crap the whole industry into the dumpster.Well more power to them! Most of the theater chains are salivating for it and they deserve to get it.
It's been well proven people will pay for extra for this crap so bring it on and on.
Sorry drunken rant...

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well at least maybe the 3D conversion of JP will correct the shoddy hidef transfer that Universal did for the bluray which is quite flawed

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-06-2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes you think the Blu Ray of JURASSIC PARK is shoddy, Jonathan? With some reservation, most of the reviews of the BD of JP is been very positive. I also agree with them.

-Claude

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2012 07:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the USA do you not also offer 2D on some of these 3D re-releases?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-06-2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes on new releases but I do not know about JURASSIC PARK and ID4. If my memory is correct, I do not think there were 2-D showings of THE LION KiNG, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, SW-THE PHANTOM MENACE and TITANIC .

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-06-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some large circuit locations did play "the Lion King" in regular 2D format along with the 3D scheduling.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I do not think there were 2-D showings of THE LION KiNG, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, SW-THE PHANTOM MENACE and TITANIC
Yes there were. We offered 2-D showings on all of those except Phantom Menace. They were all combo drives. I think Phantom is the last movie on which we did all-3D shows...every one since then (and many before it) has been a mix.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they want to screw up JP that way? Oh yeh, greed, greed, greed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it greed? Taking a property you own and investing a few bucks in it for a big return sounds more like smart business sense to me.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 07:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem with the JP Blu-ray was the 7.1 re-mix they did. While it sounds good, it's far from sounding as good as the original 5.1 mix. I just saw a beautiful 35mm print of JP in a good house, and the image looked so much better on film than the Blu-ray, which looked artificial by comparison. My guess is that it will not be fixed for the 3D release. It's a real shame.

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 10:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my problem with the blurays Claude, is that edge enhancement is evident and wouldn't have happened if Universal had done a new 4K scans of the films onto the bluray editions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: