Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How can I get the perfect screen brightness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How can I get the perfect screen brightness
Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI,I am a projectionist who work in a digital cinema.Our cinema have five screen and our projector is Christie CP2000 ZX.I use lamp loc to calibrate the screen brightness.I find the screen brightness is dissatisfied,especially in 3d mode(our 3d mode is dolby 3d).Is there any way to increase our screen brightness.I know the screen brightness is the core in the digital cinema.But I have the limited knowledge about to calibrate the screen brightness.Thx.
[Smile] [/B] [B]Christie CP2000 ZX

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 09:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many unknowns like size of screen (and if it's silver or not; and I know Dolby can be used w/ white but we can't assume it's white), the size/manufacturer/model of the bulb, the brightness you're getting in 2D and 3D. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 10:14 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX CHRIS,Our four screen is 7X5.25m,One is 12m wide.Our server is DOLBY DSS 100+DSP 100,Our screen is normal screen not silver screen,The bulb is CDXL30.And I don't know how to measure the screen brightness and how to calibrate it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 11:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my metric to US measure is correct, the first three screens are 22.75 ft wide and the fourth screen is 39 ft wide.

The bigger screen could use a CDXL-40 for 3D.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2012 11:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No it can't Monte. The ZX cannot handle that bulb.

About the only thing you can do is get a higher gain screen (I am assuming you have a standard 1.0 matte white)...or get a projector that is PROPERLY spec'd for that screen size.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry on that.

A BARCO DP2K-20C would definitely fit the bill for that wider screen.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX Monte and Brad,I forget to say the 12m wide's screen use the cp2000sb cdxl 60 bulb silver screen which the screen brightness is ok.Anthor four screen is cp2000zx cdxl30 normal screen which the screen brightness is poor.So I will adopt Brad's suggestion and suggest our boss to replace these four screen with silver screen. [Smile] I also want to know the right way to measure the screen's brightness thus I can know our cinema's screen brightness is standard.(what tool and method)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 02:08 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tool is a light meter. It'll measure the luminance, which in the industry is measured in foot-lamberts although in other industries/applications a different unit might be used.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 03:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Yinghong Wu
our boss to replace these four screen with silver screen.
No, you need a high gain matte WHITE screens for Dolby 3D.

It's the other 3D systems that needs the silver screen.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2012 07:09 AM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Chris and Monte.I got it^-^

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 10:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote"No, you need a high gain matte WHITE screens for Dolby 3D."

there is no such thing as a high gain matte white screen matte is unity gain to a little above high gain non silver screen is pearlescent

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-04-2012 06:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And certainly, unlike for RealD, a silver-screen is not needed for Dolby-3D, but can give you some extra kick on brightness if the owner or installer did a bad choice on the system layout. Plus, it offers you a choice to upgrade to a usually brighter-than-Dolby polarization 3D system later.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-04-2012 06:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Gord points out...there is no such thing as a "high-gain matte white"...that is like saying it is a large-small.

Biggest misconception going around the industry...gain screens make your image brighter...in fact, they make them darker. But wait you say...when I measure a high-gain screen in the center it really does get brighter...well yes...there it gets brighter...everywhere else it gets DARKER and unless all of the action is constrained to the 10-degree area in the middle of the screen...the image will be darker. The only way to really mitigate that is to curve the screen and "accept" the geometric distortions that brings (particularly with the current DCinema lenses...except Schneider).

Remember the spec is not just 14-fL in the middle (or 4.5fL for 3D)...it is the middle AND the sides, which need to be not less than 75% of the center (85% for screening rooms)...which can not be achieved on a flat screen with a gain greater than 1.3. Anyone putting in a flat gain screen of 1.4 or greater are out of DCI/SMPTE compliance.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-04-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silver screens are EVIL. I cannot understand how come polarized systems are so commonly adopted. Particularly flat silver screens in short throw auditoria are so incredibly bad. How is that possible that people do not realize that you have 14fl on center, but only 3fl on sides?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Marco

Where is the Facebook stylee 'like' button?!

I have tried this discussion so many times with customers hell bent on ruining their image with a silver screen, all I get is 'the glasses are 50p' [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: