Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » A good light and color meter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A good light and color meter
Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 03:36 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm trying to find a good light and color meter.
What type and brand do you guys use (and in what kind of price end can you find it).

A big thank you in advance for all the feedback.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 06:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For which application?

- Carsten

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 07:46 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a daily basis, we use this one:
http://www.jeti.com/cms/index.php/instruments/radiometer/specbos-1201

Happy with it for years.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 10:26 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, USL just introduced the LSS-100, which is a networked luminance, chromaticity, and SPL meter. The manual is at http://www.uslinc.com:8880/ftp/LSS-100/LSS-100manual120501.pdf .

Harold

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-02-2012 10:43 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco and Sony people seem to like the Konika Minolta CS-100A

Not to be confused with the similar-looking LS-100, which measures luminance only.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the LSS 100 is intended to be used for critical setup. It is used to confirm the settings have not changed substantially since "last time".

All due respect to Harold at USL.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2012 02:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They like the point-n-shoot part of it. The CS-200 is a bit more bulky but is a better meter, in my opinion. But no matter what meter you get...if it isn't kept calibrated it isn't worth the money you spend on it. And if it is calibrated, then all meters should yield the same results, as far as setting up DCinema projectors go.

I really like the bang-for-the-buck of the USL PCA-100 and BACP's 3D filter holder for it is awesome!

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should have a look on Doremi Qalif too: http://www.broadcastequipmentguide.com/doremilabs_08_27_10.php

(contact directly Doremi labs for more infos I guess).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
BACP's 3D filter holder
Please, tell me more!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 06:53 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a rotary filter holder with slots for whatever filters you typically use. I looks a bit like a Goldberg split reel with a bracket to adapt it to the PCA.

Saves a lot of trouble holding the filter or 3D glasses in front of the meter until you get a cramp while shooting colors.

Oddly, I don't have a picture from this computer.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam is, of course, correct. The LSS-100 is intended to detect changes in the system as opposed to being a precision spectrometer based system like the PCA. The LSS-100 usees RGB filters and a photodiode array.

Thanks for clarifying that, Sam!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 02:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the price of the USL PCA-100?

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 11:00 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Studio price which is what USL calls list price for test instruments is about $8,000.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Sam,

A picture/link of the fantastic time saver thing would be amazing!

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2012 03:07 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go
http://uslinc.com/products-color-PCA100.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: