Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie 2220 commands from Doremi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie 2220 commands from Doremi
Dean Brock
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2012 01:05 AM      Profile for Dean Brock   Email Dean Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, new here, but I've been lurking for years. This place is a treasure trove, love it.

I'm the lead technical person in a small one screen theater. We just recently went to digital without a VPF program. It was a big leap, our last sound processor was a Dolby CP-55, and the projector really should have been sent to a museum a while back.

Quick question. I'm trying to automate things more. I'd like to put the projector in standby mode after it's cooldown period with a command from the Doremi server, but the library of commands for the projector are a bit limited.

I found in the Christie manual there's an appendix of Serial API commands, but there's nothing I can find in the manual about how exactly to use these commands.

Do these have to go over a serial cable, or will the ethernet connection do? Our booth network has no connection to the internet or wireless, so security's not an issue.

Any help or condolences will be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2012 07:26 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dean,

try the following:
* create a raw device for your Christie chassis
* issue raw TCP orders to this device to turn it on/off

Creating a raw device: raw device using TCP on port 5000. IP address is the (Christie) projector IP address.

Useful orders:
* power off: send TEXT command "(PWR3)" to the raw device you've just created
* power on: send TEXT command "(PWR0)" to the raw device you've just created

Consult Christie support for more (I encourage yourself to registrer your projector and ask for a support account to keep current with Releases Notes and Erratas).

Have nice shows with your CP2220 [Wink]

Cheers,
--
lem

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-25-2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, to the best of my knowledge, sending a powerdown signal immediately after "lamp off" is OK as the projector will wait for the cooldown to complete before actually powering off.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2012 02:08 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confirm.

To be just near perfect, you'll still have to take the (lamp) extractor motor electrical switch enslaved to... an Integ JNIOR (or alike), and you'll have a full automated booth [Wink]

Dean Brock
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Dean Brock   Email Dean Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You, I'll give that try.

We actually have a jnior without anything hooked up to it. Sad, eh? I am planning on mechanical relay switches for the fan and the amps. We've got a couple relays on hand, but they're the normally open type. And if something were to mess up with the jnior or the server I'd really rather the fan relay fail in the on position.

Now just need to find a way to automate ticket sales, concessions, cleaning, and business plan updates. :^)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-28-2012 04:06 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and forum posts ;-)

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-29-2012 05:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you switch the Christie on through doremi? The problem is that once the TI board has been switched off and the projector is in standby, there is a "projector communication failure" preventing any playlist to be played. You can turn the projector on manually executing the macro, but you cannot automate it AFAIK.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can. You can pretty automatize completely a screen - Christie's projector have been designed to do so.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-30-2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, could you tell me how you switch a Christie on from a doremi without manually operating the macro?

Dean Brock
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2012 05:00 PM      Profile for Dean Brock   Email Dean Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again. Now, will putting the projector into stand by mode lead to marriage problems? Or does that happen if we turn the projector all the way off?

I think we got a pretty good traveling marriage counselor lined up, but I'd hate for us to have any down time.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-30-2012 05:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you put the projector in standby you turn the ICP off, hence the "projector communitcation failure" (that's not a marriage problem anyway).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-30-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremis can have macros being executed automatically on power-up. But depending on what you really want to achieve, an external automation might be better.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-01-2012 04:58 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but servers are not supposed to be turned off, as extensively discussed on this forum as well.
How can I schedule a macro to be executed without using a playlist on a doremi?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-01-2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of 'schedule' should that be on a server without a running playlist? Why should the server take over this job? There are ways to execute macros from the shell or through cron jobs. I just don't think it's a good way to do it. This is not exactly a technical issue, but a logistical/workflow question.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-01-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other.
I understand that a doremi can turn a projector on - I've just learnt that a projector can turn itself on following a schedule BTW.
But what I mean is that in a world where everything is run by managers I was wondering whether a server could turn the projector on without human intervention.

Olivier said
quote: Olivier Lemaire
Yes you can. You can pretty automatize completely a screen - Christie's projector have been designed to do so.
Now the question is still valid: can you fully automate a projector - without turning it on by keyoboard, or without scheduling another week into the projector itself?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: