Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Now the 3D world goes berserk (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Now the 3D world goes berserk
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 05:07 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Before running our new film, please exchance Your xenon bulp, and please go through this truckload of extra adjustments, making Your equipment fit our film instead of everyone else's."
Thats the essence of a mail this morning.

"Prometheus" is going to open in Denmark in a few days with projector alterations that for me would mean a tech visit almost without warning.

Will this be our future ? Jackson and Cameron demanding half a new installation for each new film, Scott ordering major alterations with so short notice, it will be impossible for local techs to visit all cinemas before premiere.

Is this a way of telling the small theatres once more, that we are not wanted ?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 06:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly are these adjustments? What happens if you don't make them?

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I suspect that they're fairly minor compared to the modifications which you would have had to make if you'd wanted to run The Robe on it's original release, likely to include:

Probably alterations to proscenium.

New screen frame.

New 'Miracle Mirror' screen.

New Curtains, tracks and boarders.

New sprockets, mag penthouses, aperture plates, anamorphic lenses and mountings for them for both machines.

Possibly moving both projectors back to allow the anamorphics to be fitted.

Possibly enlarging the ports, and possibly fitting new larger fire shutters if these were still in use.

Extra amplifiers and speaker systems plus 12 kHz. surround switching system.

Possibly replacing steel spools with aluminium ones,

Necessary cabling installation including machine changeover and format changeover for magnetic/optical for new sound system.

New splicer.

De-gaussing tool.

Possibly new arcs, many older ones had to be replaced to get enough light on the screen, which in turn would probably have required new rectifiers or generators.

I've probably forgotton something, but what would that list alone have cost? Of course, Cinemascope was a success, and many films were released in the format, but it could have died out as quickly as 8-perf Vistavision, or Fox Grandeur did, in which case it could have been a very expensive upgrade for just a handful of films.

Of course, if you also wanted to show Todd-AO you would also have needed:

New projectors.
More new spools.
Another new splicer.
Two additional sound channels.
New rewinds.
Probably new film storage cabinets.
New lenses for both machines.

What would all that have cost compared to the upgrades to the digital system for this film?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 08:00 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Njyeah, Stephen

What You are listing here, are the alterations to be done for launching two all-new formats, as it is right now going from analog to digital.
In the Prometheus-case it's the never-ending upgrade of the barely installed digital gear for one film - next being The Hobbit HFR and next Avatar even higher FR.
What I claim is, that only the biggest cinema chains can afford this "new film, new technique" proces.
I am simply asking for a standard in film projection for an amount of time, making it possible for us to pay the gear, before the next is coming.

As a very young lad, I installed 70mm in my little flea circus, as I did DTS, SRD, EX and so on, and kept my core audience from time to time (still about 25.000 tickets a year). The funds for my retirement went digital - still not pulling a bigger crowd.
Pic and sound have been fine all the way, and I've had fun doing it, -but profit: None - and the next investments to keep status quo in box office, should be on morgage. -No way. People will this time have to go elsewhere for "Prometheus".

Greetings from Downtown Malling - which for a mayor city urban citizen must be the most far out, poor misery ever seen [beer]

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Disney 3D movie in the last three years came with a technical sheet that strongly suggested a new-ish lamp (at least 500 hours remaining) and a light level check. It basically only means that your 3D system should be operating in spec (4.5fL) at all times.

Is there something new with Prometheus?

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 09:25 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im curious, What other changes do they suggest that you do?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the film-makers are just wanting you to make sure your equipment is properly adjusted and aligned. I wouldn't get bent out of shape over this.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Make the changes-
2) Send the distributor the bill. [Razz]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, under a VPF is the theatre responsible for extra maintenance demanded by the studio?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is "the DCI spec"? If I were "in spec," I would disregard any changes to the contrary. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never understood the point of these letters. Theatres that care about doing things correctly will do so regardless of whether such a letter arrives. Theatres that do not care will not. (And if my picture is sufficiently bright and not flickering, then why should anyone care about bulb hours? And what if I am using carbons and not bulbs, anyway?) So, why send the letter?

If the distributors really cared, then they should send out people with light meters and sound test equipment to every theatre that books their movies. And they should refuse to book their movies in theatres that do not meet SMPTE standards. I dare them to do this.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 11:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..about as bad when they call you up to check if the feature content has been ingested properly..

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-30-2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worse when they want to ensure that the stuff was deleted; if I want to clutter my disk with useless movies I don't have keys for anymore, that's my prerogative. [Smile]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2012 06:35 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still unclear about this; are these 'modifications' recommendations or contractural requirements or technical requirements?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-31-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds you of the letters we used to get, strongly urging us all to set our faders at "7".

Gratefully, we all ran to our processors to do that, instantly improving our previously deficient presentations.

[Razz]

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 08:12 AM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always find those letters funny, especially with the 500 hours remaining part. So nice on a 500 hour lamp, means that they want me to replace the lamp for each show? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: