Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Inspecting image for artifacts: Barco: light pipe: prism. Maintenance

Author Topic: Inspecting image for artifacts: Barco: light pipe: prism. Maintenance
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im looking at the Barco one year maintenance processes and the following is listed:
Check the condition (hot state) of the light pipe and prism by looking for artifacts in the projected full white and full black patterns.
I'm wondering what visual artifacts I might see if indeed the light pipe or prism are damaged or defective. Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2012 12:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cracks/chips will show up as impurities in the white color (you may see a magenta spot, for example). It doesn't take much. Generally, they will be colored artifacts though.

Francisco Castro
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2012 01:24 AM      Profile for Francisco Castro   Email Francisco Castro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Itīs possible that DMD's at light engine get's "tired" and the ligh output decrease from 17ft to 7 and 6 in 2D ?
This happened is Barco's Serie II Projectors.

Or is something about the clenaning of the prism?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-03-2012 04:57 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital projectors will lose light efficiency over time. Christie recommends to replace the reflector after 10 lamp change if I remember correctly.
On a Barco, you may want to check the fold mirror in front of the lamphouse and the integrator rod, which sometimes can get dusty.
Everything else is sealed but I understand that, yes, they lose efficiency, but maybe not 60% over 2 years!

Also, remember the screen - particularly if high gain - will lose gain over time.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Francisco,

when you loose that much light in this little time you need a tech to check your projector.

Maybe someting changed in the alignement of the mirrors.
Or give another lamp a go and check the adapters / connectors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: