Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Stereoscopic digital source material

Author Topic: Stereoscopic digital source material
Lukasz Kochana
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Lukasz Kochana   Email Lukasz Kochana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome!
I have a question, is there any free stereoscopic digital source material, there i can download for creating some test 3d dcp? Or maybe some tutorial how to make/convert?
Thanx
Lukasz

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any 3D trailer is essentially free.

Robby Golosino
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 12:15 AM      Profile for Robby Golosino   Email Robby Golosino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well there is actually...in fact i successfully converted a 7.1 sphere version of dolby digital demo into a 3d-stereoscopic dc package...you may easily convert it using easy dcp,at the expense of $$$,lol,but to convert it using a free open source is a quite bit tricky because they have no gui's to rely upon thats why you need a little bit of idea how to deal with ms dos commands like "for-in-do,path,cd,md,and others.
i may not give you the actual script,because it is the idea of mr chris perry and he has to be credited with this steps,but i can give you my workflow on converting it unto 3d-stereoscopic image sequence.first,you may wanted to download these applications in accordance on the OS youre using...(as for me im using windows 7).these are,sox,ffmpeg,imagemagick,opencinema tools,adobe photoshop,audacity(for editing audio).then,identify how many channels your movie has(as for 7.1 sound output,it has 8,namely left,center,right,lfe,L-surround,R-surround,BL-surround,and BR-surround. extract the sound and the image sequence from the movie using ffmpeg and extract the channels using sox,third,you should separate the left eye folder(copy the images and offset it towards left for about 10 pixels using adobe photoshop) into the right folder(the orig. extracted images).edit the "left" images putting a mask between the same images...how do i put ths....its like making a sandwich...the orig left image,then offset 1 pixel for its mask with totally black masking,then offset again for about 1 pixel and paste the other layer of orig pic,to make it looked like floating image.then turn off the alpha on the images on each folder using imagemagick.after that,convert it into jpeg2000 using opencinema tools, by using its "image_to_j2k" feature.
fourth step is to make an mxf file on each outputs(the sound and the j2k images) using asdcp-test and put it into the same folder.after that,create an xml mkcpl,mkpkl,and mkmap...and there you have it..you may test it...good luck!!!!by the way...here is the link of mr chris perry's tutorial " Making a DCP entirely with open source tools "

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robby Golosino
but to convert it using a free open source is a quite bit tricky because they have no gui's to rely upon thats why you need a little bit of idea how to deal with ms dos commands like "for-in-do,path,cd,md,and others.
Actually, there are a couple open source or free GUI DCP creators. Try googling "opendcp" or looking up "digital cinema package" on wikipedia.

Robby Golosino
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Robby Golosino   Email Robby Golosino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep,i have tried it's gui sir,but sad to say i am not successful in using it unto stereoscope 3d,it does not turns off the alpha,and the most frustrating part is,they only support 5.1 feature,which means that 7.1 audio format videos are a big "no-no" in their script,i'd still recommend opencinema tools sir...but id still hope opendcp will improve,coz i loved their intrinsic duration feature that syncs both pic and audio mxf's...

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha? You mean alpha channel?

No 7.1 in the OpenDCP GUI, but you can do it from the command line version. I would not recommend opencinematools, it hasn't been updated in years and does not make DCI compliant DCPs.

Robby Golosino
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Robby Golosino   Email Robby Golosino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes sir,the gamut conversion into xyz channel of images...and,yeah,its true indeed,opencinema tools hasnt been updating their scripts for a very long time,its quite frustrating to always use interop's rather than having a taste of smpte's,lol...and thats too bad for us who believed the capabilities of opencinema tools...and still,as what i have said earlier,the thread starter must be using cmd-lines if he is to use open source tools,coz its maybe hard to find gui's for free that has a full feature in it...well,tanx for your advice sir,i might switch my loyalty from oct to odcp...good day!

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OpenDCP removes alpha channels, so I'm not sure why you are having problems creating 3D content.

Also, 7.1 will finally be appearing in the GUI with the next version.

Robby Golosino
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Robby Golosino   Email Robby Golosino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um...excuse me sir,i dont think i am trying to argue with you about whose the greatest software of all,i am just trying to share my experience for creating my own file...if it is illegal to recommend opencinema tools here,just say so,ill gladly accept my mistakes...if opendcp works for you,well then good for you sir,im happy for your success...once again,im not posting here to brag what i know,im just helping,maybe i just dont like opendcp(maybe),why dont you give some advice to the thread starter one how to successfully make a stereoscopic sequence using opendcp,at least you helped someone rather than interferring...

Robby Golosino
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2012 05:01 PM      Profile for Robby Golosino   Email Robby Golosino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i shouldnt have talked like a little girl...im sorry for acting like one...i humbly apologize...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: