Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP650 - ethernet control

Author Topic: CP650 - ethernet control
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-18-2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone any tips on controlling a CP650 on a network from a Doremi server? This allows changing fader levels during a show so the trailers can be lower, for example.
I've tried setting up the device with IP address and port number, but macros just fail with a "no communication" error or something.
I have set one CP650 up for full network control using a Jnior 310 with the cinema package. This works fine, but since the Jnior can talk with the CP650 successfully I think I should be able to talk to it directly from the server. The Jnior setup is also a bit complicated and I'd rather not have oddball Jniors - replacement in case of failure gets complex.

|  IP: Logged

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set the IP adres of the CP650. Add device using TCP protocol and port 61412. Than you can make macro's. For example send message from Doremi to device ( CP650 )

Fader:
fader_setting=40 \r\n

Button:
format_button= 4\r\n

Mute:
mute= 1\r\n

Regards,
Stefan

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, the CP650 only wants to talk to ONE device on that port. I have found that the CP650 Ethernet port to be less than reliable and varies based on unit.

We are seriously considering not using the Ethernet port on them and instead going in on old reliable serial! There are serial to Ethernet adapters out there to allow this more reliably.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-18-2012 08:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
I got a device xml file from Doremi that looks to have exactly the text I tried entering manually, and tried it with a new CP650. That worked. I don't know why the other one I tried didn't work... anyway it's still working through the Jnior.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great that you got it working! The Doremi sets up and tears down the TCP connection very quickly, and some equipment may not catch the commands. You can add \w before and after the text string to wait (I'm not sure how long the wait is, perhaps a second) before and after the command to be sure the device detects the connection before the string is sent.

Harold

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-19-2012 07:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I can't emphasize enough that one has to handle the CP650 with "kid gloves" on the Ethernet. It was put on the CP650 long before they figured out what to do with it...as such, it is a bit limited. I have definitely found that some are more friendly than others, for whatever reason.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2012 09:09 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You can add \w before and after the text string to wait"

Harold, do you space the \w? What I mean is, would you use;

\w fader_setting=40 \r\n \w

or

\wfader_setting=40 \r\n\w

What to the \r & \n commands mean?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-30-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
\r = carriage return (ASCII 0D and sometimes written as ^M)

\n = line feed (ASCII 0A and sometimes written as ^J).

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not add any extra spaces. It may confuse things. So, something like this would be appropriate:

\wfader_setting=40\r\n\w

I have not studied the command interpreter in the CP650, but wrote the one in the USL JSD-100. In that, commands are tab delimited and carriage return terminated. So, a command might be:

jsd100.sys.fader\t700\r

to set the main fader to 7.00. Early firmware required the \w, but the latest does not. So, the command with the \w wait would be:

\wjsd100.sys.fader\t700\r\w

Note that there are no extra spaces. Also, the JSD-100 terminates with just a carriage return (\r) and not a line feed (or newline \n). I'd have to look up what the CP650 requires. The JSD-100 throws out any newline characters it receives.

So... to answer the original question... no extra spaces!

Good luck!

Harold

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-31-2012 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the CP650 manual:
quote:
The raw serial interface parser accepts ASCII commands as described below. Each
command consists of a simple keyword, <key>, followed by an “=” sign and the
<value> for that key. A command is terminated by an end-of-line character
combination (“\r\n”). This is the typical “end of line” combination sent by PC
terminal programs.

Notes
1. The ASCII interface system operates at a baud rate of 9,600 bps (8 data bits, 1
stop bit, no parity, no flow control) and cannot be invoked while the Serial Data
port is in use by the CP650 setup or reader alignment programs.
2. The interface operates in raw serial mode. Characters are not echoed back to the
controller, and control characters are ignored.
3. Command parsing is not case sensitive.
4. White space (<space>, <tab>, and so on) is ignored on input lines.
5. No error correction (CRC), sync bytes, or protocol is applied to this interface.
Customers must be aware of any stability or dropout issues with their own
hardware.
6. If a command is parsed successfully but the value is out of range (or the same as
the current setting), no error is issued and the command has no effect.

So it will deal with the extra spaces but they are not needed. Just to be clear...the ASCII commands are determined by the device sending them. Not all devices use the "\" commands. They are just a shorthand that some programs use. It Doremi chose (as many others do) to use the "\" commands for ease of input rather than having a means of going between text and ASCII.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2012 07:51 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS for taking the time to look the CP650 commands up! It was getting late last night, so I did not take the time to do so.

Again, THANKS!

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2012 04:05 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold & Steve, many thanks. I've learned a little there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: