Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » how is the projection booth running in US and CA?

Author Topic: how is the projection booth running in US and CA?
Kaka Mo
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2012 12:13 AM      Profile for Kaka Mo   Author's Homepage   Email Kaka Mo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I am from China, China is the second largest film market in the world right now. I am working in the biggest cinema chain in china; I like to know how is the projection booth running in America and Canada?

All of our projectors are digitals with TMS control, film has already been phased out.

During this phase, we do not have the NOC system. each complex theatre has 4-5 projectionists.

in US and CA, if there only one manager work in the theatre, when there is an incident, how and who get the problem solve? Are they cancel the show and wait for the technician?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 02:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To expand a bit on Chris' response, it really depends on how much penny-pinching the executives of a given theater chain are doing. Some full-digital complexes, even with no NOC, have NO projectionists on hand. A few have at least one person for up to 20 screens, and very few have more than one projectionist.

Some, even with the projectionists on hand, still have to rely on a tech to fix downed shows. Really depends on what caused the breakdown. The tech schools offered by the various equipment makers are expensive and few chains or cinemas, if any, can afford to send the entire "projection staff" (if one exists) to the tech schools. I understand from posts on here from Brad and others that a NOC service can remotely fix most problems with little downtime. Only "hard" breakdowns (bulb failure, modules/boards in projectors, dead hard drives in servers) would require a tech visit.

There are no universal answers to your questions though.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also depends on what is meant by a "NOC." Some NOC's like Brad's control practically everything in the operation whereas others simply monitor what's going on and call the local theater that's got projectionists to tell them of something they noticed.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the NOC thing related to the VPF requirements where a cinema that has signed a VPF and/or CBG deal to include NOC monitoring?

Kaka Mo
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Kaka Mo   Author's Homepage   Email Kaka Mo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks. if you google "Wanda AMC",you will know what will gona happen

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 09:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Isn't the NOC thing related to the VPF requirements where a cinema that has signed a VPF and/or CBG deal to include NOC monitoring?
Not necessarily. I used to work for a chain that had (at the time) one fully-automated location with NOC and they used that one before they'd done some of the changes to get VPF money.

So yes, it's required for VPF stuff but having one doesn't mean they're doing a VPF deal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: