Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Start of day issue NEC 1200c and GDC SX-2000 server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Start of day issue NEC 1200c and GDC SX-2000 server
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just converted one of my screens to digital and I am having a minor problem when starting the first show of the day. We leave the server on 24/7 and put the projector in standby mode overnight. When the first show of the day tried to start, the following error message shows up:

-

Re-booting the server solves the problem and everything works perfectly for the remaining shows of the day. The next morning, the same error occurs forcing a server re-boot. What is happening here?

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you leave the projector on (lamp off)?
Is this the famous mariage probleme that some people speak of on GDC and Doremi?
And do you get this on all brands of projectors?
(preparing for a test with a media block within a few weeks)

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2012 03:19 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that it would work fine if the projector was left on. Like I said, once I reboot the server, all five shows play normally. It's only after the projector is put in standby overnight and I wake it up the next day.

I only have one GDC server and NEC projector running at this time. Just started a full digital conversion recently.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, we have installed many of these combos and the same issue occurs. Because the server is left on all the time, you have to go to control panel and reboot the server. As soon as you do that, turn on the projector. It will work fine then. We werw told that it's because of the IMB board in the projector not being on while the server is on.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-06-2012 07:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will only occur (that I have seen) if you have the IMB version of the GDC server. As others have indicated...because the IMB is powered by the projector, the marriage is broken when the projector goes to standby...the server then needs to be rebooted.

All server manufacturers should seriously consider powering the IMB FROM THE SERVER with a second cable, if need be...this would avoid this silliness.

-Steve

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2012 08:54 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that being the case, does it even make sense to leave the server running overnight? If I have to re-boot each morning, it seams to defeat the purpose of leaving it on. Also, should the projector be completely powered off overnight of left in standby mode?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have almost this same setup (except, a NC2000 projector) and don't get this issue. We leave the server on all the time and the projector in standby overnight, also.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2012 11:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is a standard procedure that I've seen with a lot of digital installs: Server left on and projector on standby.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-07-2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You don't have an IMB though...hence you don't have the problem...your mediablock is in your server so it is powered by the server...thus no problem.

I don't know why folks with the GDC servers have put in the IMBs at this point...for 2K it makes NO sense...they don't bring ANYTHING to the table...not even HFR 2D. The newest IMB from GDC will bring new features to the table though for HFR 3D in 2K and certainly 4K...and is connected via CAT 6.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 01:44 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have the IMB that is powered by the projector. So, I will have to reboot the server each morning. If I go into the control panel, then select shut down, there is an option for "shut down" and "reboot." I have been using the reboot option. Will this "wear out" the hard drives just as much as a complete shut down and power up?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, reboot won't turn the drives off. It's like restart in windows.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok great! Thanks for all of the help.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2012 08:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
I have been using the reboot option. Will this "wear out" the hard drives just as much as a complete shut down and power up?
Nope, it is just a pathetically bad design. It's 2012 people. Having to do such ridiculous daily tasks is in no way "state of the art" as people like to claim.

Want to guess what happens if you reboot during a file transfer? [Razz]

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Steve is correct. The GDC IMB buys you nothing except extra time wasted in the booth. If you want to buy GDC, stick with the non-IMB version.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I agree. Bad design. But, at this point at least I can reboot each morning having to only select three things on the touchscreen...control panel-shut down-reboot. Not ideal but simple enough. Thanks again for the feedback.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to schedule or cue a daily server reboot?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: