Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby's new sound system (Page 1)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 

Author Topic: Dolby's new sound system
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinemacon-2012-dolby-new-sound-system-314999

LAS VEGAS-- Dolby Laboratories aims to advance the quality of cinema sound with the introduction of its new Dolby Atmos audio format, this week at CinemaCon.

"We think it is going to be breakthrough," Doug Darrow, senior vp of Dolby’s cinema business, told The Hollywood Reporter, noting that with more "precision and control of sound" in any theater, audio will be more "natural and lifelike."

Atmos is capable of transmitting up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

For sound teams, Atmos enables what Dolby refers to as "object-based mixing" by providing precise control over "placement and movement of individual sounds or 'objects' anywhere within a theater environment."

In order to create these mixes, Dolby reported that it plans to offer a new plug-in for Avid’s ProTools audio postproduction system, and it is also working with console manufacturers to enable support for the new format, which would be "layered" on top of a 7.1 mix.

A trailer mixed in Dolby Atmos will debut this week at CinemaCon for demonstration purposes. It was mixed by Will Files (Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted), and features sound design by Academy Award nominee Erik Aadahl (Transformers: Dark of the Moon).

Dolby said the mix could be delivered to theaters on standard Digital Cinema Packages (which are used today and are effectively the digital equivalent of a film print).

Exhibitors will need to outfit theaters for the format. According to Dolby, theater owners can still use the "majority of their existing sound system" though additional speakers and amplification must be installed. Dolby estimated that an "average mid-size" theater could expect to make an investment of around $25,000-$30,000 for this upgrade.

Audio equipment manufacturer Harman Professional is working with Dolby to design specialized loudspeakers to support the Atmos format.

Dolby is set to begin a limited deployment of Atmos in the U.S., Europe, China and Japan, and the first feature with an Atmos mix might be released as early as this summer. A larger rollout is planned for 2013.

~~

let the flaming begin!

|  IP: Logged

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should have made this announcement on April 1st!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 05:00 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Now showing in Dolby 127.1!

Something else the major chains can upcharge for the privilege of providing to you. [Roll Eyes]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-23-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems a little premature, considering that the basic D-Cinema rollout is still underway.

I'm not sure how many exhibitors will spring for an "optional" component when they're still in the midst of coping with the cost of purchasing and installing projectors. (Which ain't cheap.)

And now there's talk of projector upgrading, too. (HFR, 4K...)

Also, let's not forget what happened with SDDS-8. As long as there's a 5.1 downmix available, cinemas will probably just go with that. And, as long as studios know that the 5.1 will be the de-facto standard, they won't spring for the added time (and expense) required to mix anything more complicated than that.

No users --> No product --> No users

And, speaking of learning from the past, I'd also prefer to know that channel assignments have been standardized, so that we're not making this thing up as we go along (like 70mm).

quote:
Now showing in Dolby 127.1!
Probably 126.2 -- Dual-channel subs have advantages.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 05:26 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share opinios with you guys......but hey, when D-Cinema came I don't know what is pourpose to "invent" sound systems? There are wav files and normally 16ch supported, and with basicly adding some sort of compressing you can put how much channels as you like (theoreticly).......then another thing could be 260.3 channel sound.....only not suitable for smaller rooms because of 263 speakers in it [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 05:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still only have 2 ears.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two ears but non-directional sound to hear.

Now, we're prob entering into the world of "ambient" sound.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I guess Dolby was "wrong" when then pronounced 70mm to only need 3 in front and 2/3 surrounds. Louis

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 09:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ What Bruce said.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-23-2012 09:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any new, "breakthrough" invention that has to have a neologism for a name is automatically bullshit.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 09:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skeptical, but I'll wait to hear it until I make a judgement. Good news is, if it is a hit, it's definitely something that would be pretty hard to achieve at home which is good for the industry.

AJG

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-23-2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exhibitors are the ones who really have an interest in promoting the cinema experience -- over the home-theatre experience -- not the studios. There's BIG money in home-video for the studios.

Maybe if exhibitors start producing movies, we might see things happening in cinemas that can't be duplicated at home. But that's a pretty big "maybe" and I still have a hunch, they'd end up being seduced by the big money to be made from a home-video release. Even IMAX movies are on video...

But, whatever -- 128 channels of sound seems excessive. Good luck trying to mix that. You'd never get off the dub stage! (And that will cost a ton of money, too.)

Money is the main challenge here -- the cost to the studios of producing that soundtrack, and the cost to the cinemas of reproducing it.

And, finally, without wanting to state the obvious: They've had 16 channels at their disposal for some time now...and they're only using 7.1 of them. And how often is THAT happening..?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2012 12:05 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neato [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-24-2012 05:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! Just wait until Jane Campion hears about this!! She rocked the sound in The Piano HARD (blew the roof off... almost sounded like a real goddamn piano) and now she's gonna go nuts creating the mind-numbing, ever-enveloping sound mixes her movies are known for!

quote: Article
Atmos is capable of transmitting up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.
So wait. 128 simultaneous and lossless channels but only renders up to 64 discrete speaker feeds? What are the other 64 simultaneous and lossless channels doing?

quote: Article
Sorry. I just needed to quote that again. The stupidity just baffles me. Do these people even read their own stuff?

quote: Manny
Good luck trying to mix that.
I think the idea is to take a sound effect and steer it around some sort of 3D globe in the mixing stage so that the sound can travel wherever you put it. I don't think that the sound mixer would be paying attention to each individual channel specifically. He'd just move the sound around and it's basically just for fancy panning. I imagine every once in a while there might be a sound effect dedicated to this speaker or that one but again, I don't think any care would be taken to utilize each speaker.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: