Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Regal's RPX system

Author Topic: Regal's RPX system
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-20-2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Dole Cannery 18 in Honolulu converted one of it's large auditoriums with a projection and sound system the chain call RPX (Regal Premium Experience) and opened today with THE LUCKY ONE. I was at the Dole last week to see TITANIC in Digital IMAX and went into the RPX auditorium to see the screen. The screen is very large but not as big as their IMAX but it looked impressive. Along with special seats and improved sound, it also features dual projection RealD 3-D. Has anyone seen a movie at a Regal theatre in RPX and what did you think of the presentation? By the way, the screen I saw had almost the same dimension as digital IMAX but it did not look like it had any kind of masking for scope movies.

By the way, TITANIC was fantastic in 3-D Digital IMAX, but I have to agree with the substandard picture quality. As we all know , there is a severe limitation with movies that has been scanned in 1K. The sound however was great.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude it was scanned at 4k.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-20-2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had read digital IMAX is a 1k scanned process but i must have been misinformed. Thanks for setting me straight, victor. Now, lets discuss the Regal's RPX system.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2012 04:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dual Christies and 25k potential watts with a lot more speakers in the auditoria than what IMAX had.

Other big box cinemas also have their own versions of the same basic, large screen presentation methods.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-20-2012 10:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Cinemark get sued by IMAX for their XD system because it used dual projectors? But it's OK if Regal does it?

Yes, Titanic was scanned at 1k. Actually I think they just used the DVD. 1K is closer to DVD resolution than it is to Blu-ray.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2012 02:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark XD does not use dual projectors.....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1K rez..can see why with that large sized screen.

Be like 800x600 against 1064x768 on a CRT monitor.

One can almost feel ripped off seeing a lower res picture and paying more for the experience.

(..and what's 15/70 res-even with DMR prints-supposed to be,outside of being tonnage higher than digital?)

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2012 09:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I think the Cinemark XD system at the Egyptian (Hanover Maryland) is the best I've seen in colors, brightness, excellent dark levels and superb 7.1 surround sound - and as I understand it is a single Barco projector.

sorry that had nothing to do with Regal RPX

(I now return you to your normally scheduled topic)

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Format: 70 mm / 15 perf IMAX(R)
Film Dimensions, Horizontal (mm): 69.6
Film Dimensions, Vertical (mm): 48.5
Film Dimensions, Area (mm^2): 3376
Pixels (Horizontal): 11136
Pixels (Vertical): 7760
Total Pixels (HxV): 86.4 M
Viewable Pixels (Horizontal): 5568
Viewable Pixels (Vertical): 3880
Total Viewable Pixels (HxV): 21.6 M
Field/Frame rate/sec: 24
Bandwidth (Mbytes/sec): 1555
Percentage of IMAX HD: 50%

Taken from Appendix 1 of SMPTE Preprint No. 135-22: IMAX HD -- A High Definition Motion Picture System (1993).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-28-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Dole Cannery here in. Honolulu played THE LUCKY ONE as their opening feature with their RPX system and I was not impressed at all. As I had mentioned in my original thread, there were no masking and the scope picture look like I was watching a scope movie on BLu Ray on a HD screen with pach of blank screen on the top and bottom or a trailer in a scope ratio shown on a flat screen in a theatre. Regal made a big deal about RPX's sound when they advertised "Hear your movie" but the sound sounded very ordinary and there was nothing special about it. I can see and hear the difference when I see a movie in their digital IMAX auditorium but the thrill of hearing and seeing something exciting in RPX was missing when I saw their first presentation in that format. I suspect, the biggest problem was the movie Regal selected to show as their first movie in the format. If they waited two weeks for Marvel's THE AVENGERS, That would have made a tremendous difference.

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-28-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
Cinemark XD does not use dual projectors.....
Well, maybe they used to before they got sued. Someone at Regal told me that Cinemark got sued by IMAX for copying LIEMAX almost to the letter.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Google cinemark imax lawsuit and read all the muckity muck for yourself.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some noise on the RPX system.

Looks like Cinemark and IMAX shook hands and made up.

But, who is really going to fork over the extra dough just to see a crappy movie on a larger screen with more sound?

Can't see the logic.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-29-2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not mind paying more to see a specially presented movie such as 3-D movies like HUGO and AVATAR or 15-70 IMAX and digital with the right kind of movie but so far I have been very displeased with large screen theatre chain's presentations such as our local Consolidated's Titan XC or Regal's RPX. They are not worth more than a bucket full of spit.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2012 05:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd gladly pay for a guarantee of bright, sharp, clear picture and a finely tuned sound system. Sadly, none of these clowns seem to know how to offer these features.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: