Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Mysterious short pause during playback (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mysterious short pause during playback
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-19-2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is something I haven't seen before. I have a GDC server and a Christie projector.

I'm playing Titanic 3d tomorrow night so I was doing my QC screening of it this afternoon. Just about exactly one hour in (during the dinner party scene) the picture and sound froze. As soon as I got over my surprise I zipped up to the projection room. By the time I got there (maybe one minute later), it was playing again just like nothing happened. No error messages on the server display, either.

I paused the playback and backed up to just before the start of the dinner party scene and started playing it from there. No problem, no pause, from there right through to the end of the movie.

When the credits were running I paused it again and backed up to just before the start of the dinner party again and played through that scene again. No pause, no problem.

So... what happened there and should I be worried? Seems ok now and there were no error messages anywhere that I saw.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-19-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect some sort of processing issue on the GDC which cause the hang - perhaps a file finished ingesting or something similar.

If the just the picture paused and the sound continued uninterrupted, then there was probably some kind of data bottleneck in the projector.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-19-2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the picture and sound froze, as though the movie went on pause. I still had a picture, but it stopped moving. No sound at all while it was stopped.

Absolutely nothing else was going on, other than playing the movie. My server and projector are stand-alone, they aren't hooked up to anything other than themselves.

I checked the server status screen and it reports OK for everything that's listed there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen it happen a lot on GDCs. I think that is called a "feature". I've never been able to get a straight answer, but if anyone here knows of a fix, please do share.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-20-2012 06:55 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's your intermission [Big Grin]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2012 07:45 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the architecture of these servers but from my experience with broadband data networks, I would suspect that there is a buffering issue in the GDC. I did see a similar issue where resizing the buffer solved the problem. In another instance the scheduling algorithm needed tweaking. In either case I think the problem is with the undocumented "feature" of the GDC.

Of course, the real test here is does the problem reoccur?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-20-2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad disk in the array or a RAID controller issue, perhaps?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-20-2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that if it was a disk or disk controller board issue that would be reported as an error on the status screen. In fact, a disk error was my first thought when it happened. But there are no errors reported that I can see.

I had no issues with the two (different) movies that I played last night, and we'll see what happens with Titanic tonight. Needless to say, I'll be babysitting the projector during the dinner party scene.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Bad disk in the array or a RAID controller issue, perhaps?
FYI: 3 drive raid5 and the raid is software, not hardware.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-20-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Software RAID 5 is not safe. A power failure during a write operation will probably kill the filesystem. The only way to do RAID 5 safely is with a controller with a battery backup on board (they usually use little button batteries like motherboards use for CMOS).

Also, RAID 5 implemented in software has some significant performance penalties in write operations, although it should be a nonissue for reads.

Software RAID is fine for striping and mirroring (RAID 0 and RAID 1, respectively), but not really a good idea for RAID 5, RAID 6, etc.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the array encountered an unrecoverable data block during playback and that was what caused the brief interruption? I've seen this happen once on a Dolby DSS100/DSP100 where playback briefly stalled before continuing as if nothing had happened. A check of the number of bad data blocks recorded by the server on each drive showed that one of the drives recorded a new bad block during the show.

Do GDC's servers record a similar metric?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-21-2012 12:42 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's show went off without any problem or pause. So I guess that was a one-time glitch. Hopefully it doesn't decide to return.

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2012 12:58 AM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Wow. Software RAID 5 is not safe. A power failure during a write operation will probably kill the filesystem.
No, it really shouldn't. Most software raid implementations catalog data that they claim to have written into parity. After a power failure the drives should resync (not rebuild) next time they boot to ensure everything is correct. The issue would be if a drive failed prior to the resync. However, even in a hardware raid this could be an issue depending on the RAID type and which drive failed.

As far as performance, it's hard to say as it depends on a few variables, CPU, drives, number of reads/writes, data chunks, etc. In a degraded state, software raid could take a bigger hit. I've even seen software RAID outperform cheap hardware controllers.

RAID is not a backup solution. It's a redundancy solution.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-21-2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: do you power cycle (cold boot) your servers once a week to rid of "stale" memory?

How full are the drives, for possible that when the drives are getting above a certain percentage, access from the drives could be a bit troublesome, but don't know about the GDC setup.

I usually maintain drive space to be less than 70% at all times.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-21-2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,
Interesting, I did not know. But how can the HW RAID controller complete the writing process if the drives are shutting down as well?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: