Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » KDM Issues

Author Topic: KDM Issues
Geoff Power
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Geoff Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newby here, and joined because I've encountered lots of issues with our digital setup which I've tried to get my head around. We're a small rural art-house cinema, and converted to digital just over a year ago, running DoreMi on a DCP-2K4. I'm a volunteer projectionist and do some ingesting and playlisting.

One set of issues concerns KDM failures - twice recently a feature has failed to activate because they sent us the wrong KDM, and this week only narrowly avoided disaster. The only feedback we got was "we've identified the problem and are on it" - I believe it was the wrong version number of the feature. On another occasion the KDM was sent by a different distributor to the one who supplied the film. And keys often arrive, or activate, too close to the show date for us to preview the show.

Are these issues normal, or are we just unlucky [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're just as unlucky as everyone else.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several different things you can do on your end to help eliminate KDM issues.

The first is to ensure you are ingesting content and keys as soon as you get them. Don't wait around until Thursday afternoon.

The second is to ensure that when you receive your keys, you are very careful about ingesting the right key. I will sometimes receive as many as 12 different keys for a given feature:
Feature 5.1
Feature 5.1 CC
Feature 5.1 OC
Feature 7.1
Feature 7.1 CC
Feature 7.1 OC
3D Feature...

There is no consistent rule for which you should use for your location. Sometimes is the feature version, sometimes it's the closed captioned version. When in doubt, I would just ingest all the keys.

Third, do not ingest your keys until after you ingest your content.

Fourth, your media server should have some way to verify the keys, even if they are not active yet. There should be a screen which identifies when keys are active, whether a feature has a key associated, and so forth. Our GDC servers will even identify content which requires a key but does not have one, and keys that expire within a week.

I'm not suggesting that you are not receiving bad keys, just that you have to make sure you are doing things right on your end to eliminate operator error.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and to add:

If using multiple servers, the serial number in the key must match the server's serial number, or the key will not work either.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...also

If you are using the CC or OC versions, those often have to be ingested after the FTR version.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, that must be some quirky GDC thing. For example on a Dolby, you can ingest all keys if you want, before or after or during content ingestion, and yes you can ingest version files first too...it doesn't care. It just works. That being said I'm not aware of any issues ingesting a key before content on a GDC.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 08:41 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a GDC server and have never run into this issue. The keys for this week's movies arrived about a week ago for some reason so I ingested them then. I received the hard drives yesterday, ingested those, and everything plays fine.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours arrive via FTP days before the HD's in which the KDM's are already in the servers .. and no issues either.

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 08:50 AM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run into several issues recently with keys as well. Mainly from Technicolor. Had an issue with my keys for the LORAX last week, loaded and built Lorax before ingesting keys. Key screen said it was good, but build and control screens didn't recognize it. People from Deluxe had me delete my play list, reboot and reload the key and it worked. Said the play list sometimes acts as bubble and keeps the keys from activating the feature.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 08:53 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, what’s your server?

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, KDM's are just tiresome, annoying and it makes you wonder, can't they invent a more interactive sort of security because sometimes you even have to rush to get new keys because they forgot the movie is playing even longer [Frown] .

It is a good way of protecting the content but there has to be an easier way to renew the keys and also don't make them valid on the day that movie has to play but do it a couple of days before that.

I also love that Doremi has at the moment a problem that makes the server say "KDM is valid for 0 Hours" in red even though when you check the key it is still valid for 101 days for example.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 09:54 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a proposal to automate KDM delivery. Details are at http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc8-TheaterKeyRetrieval-TKR-v03.pdf .

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: