Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » TITANIC 3-D reviews are favorable (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TITANIC 3-D reviews are favorable
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-04-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read early reviews of TITANIC 3-D on the internet and all of them have praised the 3-D conversion. One reviewer liked it so much, he said it surpasses even some movies he had seen that were captured in 3-D. I am going to be very busy with work during the rest of the week but will try to see it at the Dole Cannery in digital IMAX sometime next week. I know I will enjoy the movie and cannot wait to see it.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2012 07:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the conversion is very favorable - one of the best conversions to be documented on the screen.

Now, to see if this conversion is strong enough to drive a 'curious' factor with the pubic to come out to see the results of the conversion since the movie has been released on all forms of video formats, presented on CATV/TV, et.al.

-Monte

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-04-2012 07:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think it will do just fine. People who like this movie will probably all agree it should be seen in a theatre. I, for one, would say "see it on the big screen" even in 2D.

Fans probably won't pass up the opportunity to see it in 3D -- especially if the 3D conversion is getting positive buzz.

Heck, now I'm curious to see it!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-04-2012 07:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of people will, Monte. I still have the original DVD as well as the multi disc set and previously had the movie on a DTS laserdisc as well as widescreen and full screen VHS tape. There is a whole new generation that never saw TITANIC on a large theatrical screen and I am sure a lot of them will see the new 3-D version in theatres.

Both THE LION KING and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST have been available on home video for years and both of them were very successful in theatres recently when they were converted from the original 2-D to 3-D. Even episode one of STAR WARS in 3-D did well.

-Claude

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-04-2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with Star Wars Episode 1, I thought the 3D conversion was cleanly done, but it didn't add anything to the story. I felt like the experience with the glasses on was no different than it was when I originally watched the movie in 2D. The problem with these conversions is the detail simply doesn't exist to do 3D correctly.

I will say this much: I didn't have any problem with wearing the glasses for 3 hours and 14 minutes. I didn't see any significant ghosting or other problems.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2012 10:27 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 3D trailer alone had it's 'wow' moments - can't wait to see this!

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2012 02:38 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tested the DCP of "Titanic 3 D". The result is fantastic. Amazing work. With the IMAX version of Avatar i saw two years ago (70 mm), it's the best 3 D i have ever seen : perfect focus, very sharp image and almost no ghosting even with MasterImage.

Cameron did a great job. And the movie really deserves a big screen.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it in RealD.The 3D was very very good,picture was clear but it never got taller than scope.This was a constant width house.

Still looked better in 2d 35mm on a great film done right screen in 1997/1998 but it was a great 3D conversion.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-11-2012 07:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why *would* it get taller than scope? I don't understand.

[Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
As with Star Wars Episode 1, I thought the 3D conversion was cleanly done, but it didn't add anything to the story.
I see this comment a lot and don't understand it. Just what IS 3-D supposed to add to the story? I don't think there's ever been a 3-D movie where 3-D "added to the story." For that matter, what does color add to the story in most movies? I would bet that 99% of movies today would work just fine in black and white, so why are they spending all that money on color?

3-D exists just for the "coolness" of the visual, that's all. Not to add anything to the story. Even Avatar worked just fine in 2-D...was there any part of that movie that a viewer wouldn't "get" in 2-D?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mike!
John,there was rumor that the Super 35 frame would be opened up making it taller.Maybe this was for Imax and Liemax only but it was discussed somewhere...
I was wondering if like Avatar different versions would go to constant height or width screens to maximize screen size.
Maybe it was only a rumor?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-11-2012 11:16 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, take Avatar or How to Train Your Dragon as examples. The 3D in both of those movies had the effect of enhancing the viewing experience - especially with the flying sequences. Although Star Wars Ep.1 didn't have much flying, the 3D could have similarly enhanced the viewing experience. I didn't feel that at all. And the same thing with Titanic. Maybe I'm misspeaking to say it didn't enhance the story, but my point was that I didn't feel the 3D added anything (or enough) to justify watching it in 3D.

One point I will concede is that we have MasterImage 3D. I did get to watch about 5 minute of Titanic on a RealD screen and it did seem to have a better 3D effect.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2012 11:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't think there's ever been a 3-D movie where 3-D "added to the story." For that matter, what does color add to the story in most movies? I would bet that 99% of movies today would work just fine in black and white, so why are they spending all that money on color?
Well, in real life we only see color. Some might argue that we also see 3D, but the reality of it is that we don't walk around in the dark 100% of the time. Until 3D can get to a proper brightness level and they fix the "cardboard cutout" issue with the 3D effect, color makes sense and 3D does not.

Just my opinion.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's that whole glasses thing they need to get rid of. Oh, and that upcharge thing, too. Theaters are finding lots and lots of reasons to nickel and dime their customers these days. Theaters really hate people. 3D is an upcharge, Liemax is an upcharge, fake Liemax is an upcharge, sitting in the balcony is an upcharge. I'm surprised that theaters don't charge more based on the color of carpet.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 11:15 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In about a week I will be checking out the 15/70 3d version.
I will compare this to the Real D Christie presentation which was very dark.
To be fair even 2D was dark like a black hole on this screen! I did complain but since the management are friends of mine from years of projecting 35mm in the past.They just laugh and say we love you Victor. [Smile] It seems they are directed to run the bulbs too long. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: