Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D vs 2D booking issues

Author Topic: 3D vs 2D booking issues
Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my research to convert to digital in our home town single screen theatre I've been told that if you have 3D and it's available you won't be able to show it in 2D. Was also told by someone else that they just played The Lorax in both 3D and 2D on the same screen, different times of course. Wondering what the real answer is, if you have 3D do you have to book the movie that way or can you choose.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to this question will largely depend on how many screens you have. My company has a 5-plex and a 7-plex. With most 3D movies, we are allowed to run at least one 2D showing per day - usually a matinee. However, with some films we have been required to run 100% 3D for at least the first week.

In the case of 3D re-releases like Titanic, we are not always allowed the choice of a 2D showing. And when we have had one, the 2D does far less business than with a normal 3D movie - probably because people already have the 2D version sitting on their shelf at home.

If you have a large enough complex where you routinely run multiple prints of big movies, you'll probably have more flexibility with running 2D shows, as long as you can give a full schedule of 3D shows.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booker told me that with most studios, if you have 3D capability on a single screen you have to play the 3D version...

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 03:45 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a single-screen theatre and I've always had a choice of 2D or 3D. When it's been a rerelease I've only been getting it BECAUSE it's in 3D, but for new titles, I have opted for 2D about half the time with no problems.

Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply's so far, it seems this subject is just like the rest with the studio's "there's no one simple answer" We have just one screen and seldom get movies at the break and more times than not decline them at the break because of the 2 and 3 weeks plays required. With the upgrade to digital we would like to be 3D capable but don't want to have to always play in 3D. Sounds like with just one screen we may have a choice at least much of the time.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to split 2d & 3d with 3d getting the 7ish prime time slot. The number of screens has little to do with the questions. The studios realize that they are better off allowing both to run.

But, with re-releases (Titanic this week) you will only run the 3d.

But, these are theaters that run multiple shows a day.

It looks like you run just 1 show on Fridays & Sundays with 2 on Saturdays. With such few shows, you will have to choose one or another. Run at least 2 shows a day and you should be able to run both.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a single screen here. Starting with Cars 2 last year, all of the 3-D movies we've played have been on "combo drives," meaning the 2-D and 3-D versions are both on the drive. And, we've been able to book both versions at once. The only criteria is, they want you to give the "prime" showtimes to the 3-D version, understandably. If you play the movie on the break they are more strict about this; if you wait a while, they tend not to care. You can mix'n'match as you want to.

Here, we do 2 shows on Fri/Sat and one show the rest of the week, so for 3-D we've settled into doing 2-D shows for the late show on the weekend, and then we do 2-D only on Tues/Wed/Thur. People are getting used to that schedule and we now usually get very good crowds for the 2-D shows on those weeknights. (Not so good on the Fri-Sat late shows.)

Keep in mind that if you do play both versions on the same screen, you still have to treat it as two different movies (i.e. you need a boxoffice report for each version).

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Keep in mind that if you do play both versions on the same screen, you still have to treat it as two different movies (i.e. you need a boxoffice report for each version).
Would this have an impact on VPF payments?

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: Mike Blakesley
Would this have an impact on VPF payments

You would still just get one VPF as you are only playing it on one screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: