Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Choosing a Digital Projector for a Drive-In (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Choosing a Digital Projector for a Drive-In
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We plan on do our conversion from 35mm to digital later this year and I'm now starting to get quotes on the machines and installation costs.

I've got the projectors narrowed down to 2 specific models - the Barco DP2K-23B and the Barco DP2K-32B. Both of my screens are 25 feet x 59 feet, with a throw of 354 feet. The 23B maxes out at a screen size of 75 feet with a 4kw bulb. The 32B can do screens up to 105 feet with a 6.5kw bulb. Since 4kw digital is brighter than my existing 4kw from my Xenex I lamphouse, will I be fine with the 23B? Most of the dealers I've spoken with are steering me towards the 23B. I know the 32B will give me WAY more light than I need, but I'd rather not spend the extra money if it's not needed. Don't really plan on doing 3D, so not really worried about loos of light from that.

Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-03-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you planning to show 3D? [Cool]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. From what I've seen so far, the only 3D system that actually works in a drive-in setting s is the Dolby 3D with the reusable glass - mainly because of the lack of needing a silver screen surface.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe there is no such thing as too much light in a Drive In, but you're the owner.

You will no doubt find a use for the extra light and the resale value might be better down the road if your plans change.

Yo should make sure there is a suitable lens for your throw.

I like all the Barco's, but Christie is a good rugged projector with plenty of light as well.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some have said that too much light on a drive-in screen will bring out any and all imperfections in the screen surface.

Another owner in Ohio last week installed a 32B and they shot a 25.7 reading on the light meter with the 6.5kw lamp on an 83 foot screen. They cranked it way down, but he's still a little over 14 f.l.

Last quote I got, they "calculated" I'd get 13.7 with flat and 10.3 with scope using the 23B. I'm sure that's probably way more than I'm getting now, but it's still not 14fl. I do not plan on taking the 1/2 drive-in VPF's, so I doubt it would be an issue.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-03-2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, how do DIs that use the Dolby 3D system make sure that they get back the correct number of glasses per car, given that one car may contain a variable number of occupants?

I guess that the good part (at least for those not doing carload pricing) about 3D at a DI would be that it would eliminate the people-hiding-in-the-trunk problem. [Smile]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I've only seen it at one theatre and that was at the Galaxy Drive-In in Ennis, Texas. I went down to Dallas for the DITA meet back in November, met Brad and Jeremy from Film-Tech and we all (the whole group) took a trip down to the Galaxy one night.

If I remember correctly, when you buy your tickets, and if you have 5 people in the car, they give you 5 pairs of glasses and a laminated card with the number "5" on it. When you leave the theatre for the night, you have to drive by the glasses collection station and you have to give back the number of glasses printed on the card.

That drive-in has the full commercial dishwasher and drying racks for the 3D glasses in a ground floor room below the projection booth. It was a pretty efficient set-up.

They were running Series 1 Christie projectors when I was there back in November.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember your drive-in screen is NOT a 1.0 gain, so you need more to achieve the same result.

Barco is really the best option for a drive-in due to the sealed light engine.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is right for sure regards the screen gain. The gain could be anything from maybe 1.0 with white paint to way less depending on the age of the paint job, etc.

"Another owner in Ohio last week installed a 32B and they shot a 25.7 reading on the light meter with the 6.5kw lamp on an 83 foot screen. They cranked it way down, but he's still a little over 14 f.l."

I seriously question this figure. Did they use some sort of silver paint perhaps?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamps lose brightness with aging, so, go and do yourself and your patrons a favour and get the 32B. The windshield will eat some light as well, so the normal 14-16fL measured outside the car is not practical anyway.

Also, more light on the screen might give you a real chance for some extra shows.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2012 07:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Sam. Although the Barco 32B is the brightest projector available, 25.7 footlamberts on an 83 foot drive-in screen surface tells me something isn't stirring the Kool-Aid with those numbers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 08:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier starts (in June) equal more money, equals more satisfied customers (for later in the season.)

Once I tried to "size" drive in lamphouses (on film). I was wrong: On film 4500 watts with the best projector and the best lenses and the screen angled and painted properly is the only answer. Since the delivery medium (digital) is not relevant, the basic idea still holds.

Wouldn't you sell more family tickets if you started at 8 pm that you will at 10 pm? Act accordingly. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-03-2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your screen had a 1.0 gain AND you were able to obtain a lens suitably long for your "flat" picture...I would predict you would need over 38,000 lumens for scope and 24,000 lumens for flat...even with an anamorphic lens, you would need about 31,200 lumens for scope. My recommendation get the bigger projector....again, I don't know where you are going to get the 7.47 TR lens for flat. Barco's lens line tops out at 5.5 and they don't have an anamorphic option.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2012 11:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
My recommendation get the bigger projector....again, I don't know where you are going to get the 7.47 TR lens for flat. Barco's lens line tops out at 5.5 and they don't have an anamorphic option.

Prob the only way to get under these numbers is to build two small projection buildings that are closer to the screen - more like getting a 200ft throw to the screen with those screen measurements.

Then you can, maybe, play with the 23B idea, but the 32B will give out excellent results due to that the gain of the screen, as Brad mentions, will not be the 1.0 needed along with you be outside with the elements of stray light, dusk situations and so forth.

Brighter is better. - Monte

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-04-2012 10:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--out of curiousity, how do you get those numbers?

I would have done (image area in sq. ft.) * (desired luminance in fL.) * (screen gain).

That gives me:

(25 * 1.9) = 47.5 * 25 = 1187.5 square feet for flat image

1187.5 * 14 * 1 = 16625 lumens needed for 1.85 image at 14 fL on 1.0 gain screen)

(25 * 2.35) = 58.75 * 31 = 1821.25 square feet for scope image without anamorphic lens

1821.25 * 14 * 1 = 25498 lumens needed for 2.35 image at 14 fL on 1.0 gain screen

I did not account for the chance that longer lenses are probably slower than the "typical" lens that is used to measure light output, and that manufacturers' claims of brightness are often overstated. I also did not account for bulb aging. Do those three factors explain why your figures are 50% higher than mine? Or am I missing something else?

Edit: It looks like Christie has lenses that would work in Barry's case, if he isn't committed to Barco.

Edit 2: Something is wrong here. The Barco web site says that the DP2K-23B puts out 24,500 lumens, but is good for a 75ft. wide screen? Huh? Even using my numbers, it would be marginal for Barry's screen, even if it were 1.0 gain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: