Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Question about GDC's SX-2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about GDC's SX-2000
Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to re-establish the connection to the IMB without rebooting the server??

I am in the process of attempting to convince management to leave these servers on (12 of em) 24/7 to reduce the amount of problems we have with them. and they might go for it if the projectors don't have to be left on too.

I have already had a RAID array fail, and they still wont listen....(imagine that) [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-25-2012 08:48 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of a way to reinitialize the server security manager once the IMB has been powered down other than rebooting the server. Rebooting from the console should not as stressful as a full power cycle.
Maybe if you compare the cost of lost shows and server repairs to the power cost of leaving them on it would be convincing? I haven't seen any studies that test the MTBF difference between always-on and off-every-night for a server.

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that is what I was afraid of, a prime example of why I strongly dislike their new system. I much prefer my two older SA-2100s.

That shouldn't be very hard...
we have lost countless shows because of server mishaps.
We lost two days when the RAID array failed, and these servers run 4 shows a day 7 days a week.

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector has to be fully up before you can turn on the server otherwise marriage will not be established.
With your raid failure, did you try to do a live play from the CRU drive? that should have worked.

Christopher Schaffner
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Christopher Schaffner   Email Christopher Schaffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, Yes I tried, but for some reason it would not recognize the HDD in the CRU bay until we got new drives for the array.

Normal behavior?? I have no idea.. [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-26-2012 12:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gilbertson
The projector has to be fully up before you can turn on the server otherwise marriage will not be established.
A major reason against IMBs. Hopefully somebody will do it right and power the IMB from the server, NOT the projector.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 11:13 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony does that [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-26-2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
One positive doesn't outweigh a thousand negatives, Dom. [Razz]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-26-2012 06:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony is not an IMB system. They call it IMB because it is built into the projector housing, but it is just a server/MediaBlock combination like a normal Doremi or Dolby.

I would call the Sony way of doing it 'Integrated Server'.

- Carsten

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this means that Sony will not perform High Frame Rates for upcoming The Hobbit?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 10:45 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can handle the framerate with a firmware upgrade I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Carsten: that's true. But at least you don't have to reboot it to re-establish the marriage.

Brad: Truth. IMHO nothing will make up for the poor ventilation due to the dumbass design of it. I've got one with a temp alert right now even though the vents were all cleaned less than 600 hours ago and the exhaust pushes over 1200cfm at the stack. It's just the way it's designed.

But I digress.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2012 05:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sonys do not even need a 'marriage'. A marriage is needed because of the Cinelink Connection/Link Decryptor present in DLPs using external HDSDI signal connections, which technically allows to connect servers to different projectors.
Also to make sure a specific media block stays tied to a specific server/SMS.

The Sonys use a different security system, no link encryption over their LVDS connection. They might use a similiar formal tying of server and projector, but as Doremis can be used as servers for Sony machines as well, this doesn't seem to be an exclusive system. As the Sony machine concept can easily assure combined power-up and power-down of server and projector or graceful handling of typical power cycling, 'remarriage' is no issue under normal conditions.

'IMB' is not a formal necessity for HFR - it's the bandwith. For DCI DLP, only the IMB interface path into the projector has the necessary bandwith for 3D HFR, unlike Dual-HDSDI.

Sony has more than enough bandwith over their 4k LVDS connection, and with their specific split-screen 3D approach, the bandwith needs are even more relaxed.

- Carsten

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 DCI upgrades back they introduced marriage on the Sony's. The last round of software updates automated procurement of a new certificate from the NOC when a major component is swapped forcing nullification of the certificate. It's much nicer than having to call them now.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-24-2015 06:47 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1183 days since the last post.

Christopher Mondt
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Mondt   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Mondt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello anyone can tell me the installer password for the gdc 2001?

I have to install a mchine like that tomorrow.

thanks

christopher

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: