Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Hunger Games digital keys (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hunger Games digital keys
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 12:14 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Technicolor to verify the following information.

I just had my first key for The Hunger Games land in my email. The key is a 10 minute QC key which is valid from 8:00am Thursday morning until 11:00pm Thursday night.

Technicolor did not know yet when Lionsgate would be releasing the regular engagement keys, but the person I spoke with did inform me the keys will be valid starting at 11:30pm Thursday night.

So we will have a total of 30 minutes prior to the midnight shows to ensure our keys are fine and get replacements if necessary. Let's hope there aren't any problems.

Based on the key I received, it does appear that Hunger Games will be in 5.1 and 7.1 sound.

|  IP: Logged

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 12:51 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. we got an email from the distributor the the keys arrive late Friday, our first show is Friday at 18.30.

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 01:29 AM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet we'll receive the combinations for the locked prints at 10am... so what's the point of leaving it until 11:30pm?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 04:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't notified of any locked prints for the 35mm version (unless the "locked" comment above is for the DCP versions) - just suspecting of being shipped in the "Fox Boxes"...

Sadly, can't check end cues with this 10min key...

But, at least the 10min key will eject itself - just in time for the regular key to take over..for those who get their keys via .ftp servers.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I wasn't notified of any locked prints for the 35mm version (unless the "locked" comment above is for the DCP versions) - just suspecting of being shipped in the "Fox Boxes"...
Current locked 35mm prints in FOX/TES style boxes come with a black canvas bag inside for the reels and the standard brass Master combo lock.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 09:39 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As my booker likes to remind me. "most of the distributors have there heads buried very deeply in their *##es"

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 09:46 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd. We got both sets of keys in the same email.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing The Lorax this weekend and I got four, count-em four keys. Haven't gone thru them yet to see what's what.

I guess the KDM people are feeling nostalgic for all the ways they were able to screw things up with film, and are looking for new ways to have fun.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 12:29 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, it should be the 2D & 3D feature and close captioned keys. And you may still get an open caption key for each format.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^--I suspect that is the case. We usually get OCAP and CCAP keys by default on top of the 5.1 and 7.1 keys for our bigger houses.

We just got notice from Tech on the locked cans.
I really wish they wouldn't do that ish just because it makes it damn near impossible to verify the damn thing will play for the multiple sold-out auditoriums with just 30 minutes to showitme. We're seating people at that time for crying out loud!

Not to mention those of us with a certain system (four letter word) have MAJOR stability problems with ANYTHING new.

I'll never forget having a mad re-ingest of keys minutes before an advance screning of IRON MAN 2.
I litterally hit play at the exact moment it finished injesting the keys -- they'd sent us incorrect keys earlier that day + FEDEX refused to deliver the hard drive before 6PM for a 9 O'clock show...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 04:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, got my film prints..reels all zipped up in a heavy canvas bag. Get the code tomorrow morning.

Guess who'll be doing visual bench inpections during assembly?

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 04:44 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really nice of them to bag the entire print, wasn't it? I went in today to build our three 35MM prints only to find out the only thing I could do was make up the trailer cores.

Have the digitals downloaded and programmed the trailers, but no key yet.

No way we can do a run-through on anything.

But let's face it, it's what we've come to expect from the distributors. Why bother to get upset? If you are one of the luck ones to have something go wrong, you will be the one who gets hurt. Exhibitors are on the bottom of the food chain.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 05:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see this happening in the real world, but if I had my way the solution to this late key/padlock combination issue would go something like this:

Until I can inspect (35mm) or test run (digital) the feature, it does not get screened to the public. If that means the studio loses out on one or more shows of opening day revenue, tough shit. If EVERY theatre that gets screwed this way would do that, perhaps the total lost revenue would get the studio's attention.

Of course this will never happen because most theatres don't have the balls to do it (plus many can't afford the lost revenue themselves) and it would have to happen more than once to get the dipshits at the studios to wake up.

But like John T. just said, exhibition is the bottom of the food chain (or toilet bowl) so I really doubt anything would change or the studios would even care.

Sad state of affairs really.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a sad state of affairs, given we are the "engine that pulls the train." We should start acting more like it, I guess. But, anything done would have to be done en masse -- film companies don't care about one screen. If a whole CHAIN was to do something, like what happened with Tower Heist, that might cause some change.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received an email from Technicolor that Lionsgate has asked them to send new keys that will be good starting at 8:00pm. Still less than ideal, but better than 11:30pm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: